Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:24 AM   #1

Hi,
Plan to get new SD card for my Panasonic FZ20. What's the best card todays? I need a FAST card!
1. Kingston Elite
2. Transcend Hi Speed 66X
3. Ridata Hi Speed 60X
4. Sandisk Ultra 2
5. KingMax Platinum
6. Lexar
7. PQI
8. Apacer Photo Steno Pro
Is there any difference between normal and FAST card?

Beside that, if I plan to have 1GB of storage. Which one is better:
1. Get one piece of 1GB FAST SD CARD, or
2. Get two pieces of 512mb FAST SD CARD?
I've seen some posting from other forum that if you get 2 pieces of 512mb SD card, the capacity is slightly larger then 1 piece of 1GB sd card?
Give me your opinion!:lol:
cheewooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:07 PM   #2

After reading about it here, I'm now using the Kingmax Platinum 60x 256meg cards, works fine... about $23 at NewEgg.com

It does appear that it is faster then the regular SD card that came with my FZ20.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...roperty&DEPA=1
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 1:52 PM   #3

My Sandisk Ultra II 512s worked great in my FZ20.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:56 AM   #4

static wrote:
Quote:
After reading about it here, I'm now using the Kingmax Platinum 60x 256meg cards, works fine... about $23 at NewEgg.com

It does appear that it is faster then the regular SD card that came with my FZ20.

I'll recommend the Kingmax Platinum line too, significantly cheaper than the Ultra II yet just as fast if not faster (if you pick up the 66x one, as opposed to the 60x). Made of a fairly touch ceramic it's 100% waterproof because the whole thing is one piece not two pieces of plastic stuck together.

If i had to get another memory card, it would definitely be the Kingmax Platinum, with PIP technology (this basically means it's half as thick, waterproof and ceramic).
kimnkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:51 AM   #5

kimnkk wrote:
Quote:
static wrote:
Quote:

I'll recommend the Kingmax Platinum line too, significantly cheaper than the Ultra II yet just as fast if not faster (if you pick up the 66x one, as opposed to the 60x). Made of a fairly touch ceramic it's 100% waterproof because the whole thing is one piece not two pieces of plastic stuck together.

If i had to get another memory card, it would definitely be the Kingmax Platinum, with PIP technology (this basically means it's half as thick, waterproof and ceramic).
I just got my Kingmax Platinum 60X 256mb SD card. Is that water proof or water resistant? Here's some photos of my Kingmax SD..

Whole piece of SD card uses PIP technology and laminated using ceramic. There's no lock on the card like normal SD card.
cheewooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:25 PM   #6

You might want to add the TwinMOS Ultra-X 60x cards to your list too.

To be honest, I don't really know what I would say is the best. I'm personally currently looking at 3 cards:

TwinMOS Ultra-X 60x

KingMax Platinum 60x

Apacer 60x

They are available at fairly good prices. The Apacer seems to be the cheapest at the moment, around RM300 for 1 gb and RM170 for 512mb

I have ruled out the Kingston Elite Probecause it's only available in 512mb sizes and below in Malaysia (at least in KL) and I'm looking for 1 gb. However, if you only want 512mb it may be a good choice. You can get the 512mb card from Cycom for RM175, I think this is the variant listed below but not sure.

The Panasonic 66x is a dumb choice in Malaysia IMHO because the cheapest price I can find is around RM150 for 256mb! So unless you're really desperate for speed forget it.

I have not yet come across the Lexar or the Transcend (well except for 256mb) orPretecany of the others but I have heardthey are available for a decent price. If you can find any at a decent price, then you might want to consider them.

The KingMax ones do have the PIP. How good this really is I don't know. I have heard of various cards being left in washing machines and coming out no worse for the wear so I'm a bit skeptical into how important their completely waterproof claim is. However, the smaller thickness might be a good thing and I assume they also weigh less.Bear in mind though some other cards are also 1.4mm thick such as the Kingston Elite Pro. Whether the ceramic coat makes them tougher is a good question. Anyone willing to try? *grin*

I asked Apacer about the speed of the 60x card and they claim it's "reading 9MB/sec, writing, 5MB/sec". I came across a KingMax Platinum datasheet which reports the speeds as follows:

Capacity
Sequential Read
Sequential Write
Random Read
Random Write
Unit

32MB
KB/s

64MB
KB/s

128MB
KB/s

256MB
KB/s

512MB
KB/s

1GB
KB/s

However I do not know for sure if this isthe 60x card or not.

The Kingston Elite Pro is supposed to be 8.2MBPS read, 7.7MBPS write.

The TwinMOS Ultra-X is a little more tricky. No reply to my e-mails yet. Their website quotes minimum read 6MB/s, minimum 4.8MB/s. No idea what minimum means but I think it might be the minimum for the series which isn't really helpful.

In any case, I would personally use the TwinMOS, Apacer and KingMax as the baseline. If other cards are available for about the same price then consider them. If not, I personally feel they're not worth it even if they are maginally faster. But then it is up to you. Most of the cards have fairly decent warranties (5 years or "lifetime").

Unfortunately, these cards are not so popular outside of the Asia-Pacific region. This is itself IMHOnot a bad thing. If they havedifferent market aspirations thats up to them. But finding benchmarks and users of them I have found is not so simple for this reason!

As for the one card or two card, well as I said i'm looking for 1gb. I think this will be a better option because:

only 1 card to take around

don't have to change cards so often

cheaper

However, if you might want to use your SD cards for something else or lend them to someone or whatever then you might want to consider 2 512mb cards.

P.S. 1.4mm is not half as thick as 2.1mm!
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 2:17 PM   #7

Since I made this post, I have done a bit more research and have realised there is a lot of confusion. I hope it's okay if I post a post I made in another forum here. It repeats a lot of what I said above but it clarifies some confusion about the x rating. Especially important as the x rating seems to be used somewhat 'loosely' to say the least in a lot of the Asia-Pacific region.

Hi everyone,

I've been doing some research on SD card recently and thought I would post my results.

Firstly, I think I should point out something. Many cards are quoted with an x (times) rating. This has always been a bit confusing to me but best as I can tell the x rating is the same as the x rating for CAV CD-roms. So for example a 1x SD card would be 150 KBPS. (kilobytes per second) Similarly a 60x SD card should be 9000 KBPS.

Unfortunetely, not everyone appears to follow this definition and have made up their own definitions. So I personally prefer to think of speed in terms of KBPS.

Also another big problem is some people refer to write speed when they talk about transfer speed, others talk about read speed. For example, a 45x Transcend is 7.7 MBPS read, 6.8 MBPS write. I'm not sure whether they define 1 MBPS=1024KBPS or 1000KBPS but it doesn't make that much of a difference. Assuming they mean 1000 KBPS this gives about 45.3x speed for the write 51.3x read. However, what about Apacer 60x cards? I asked Apacer and they said they are 9 MBPS read and 5 MBPS read. This gives 60x read but only 33.3x write!

Reading the above paragraph, you'd quickly realise another key thing. Some manufacturers have quite large difference between read and write, other have small differences!

Kingston Elite Pro is said to be 8.2 MBPS read and 7.7 MBPS write. This gives 54.7x read and 51.3x write. Someone claimed this is 66x, but I don't agree.

Panasonic 67x is supposed to be 10MBPS read and write. The 67x is a fair speed.

KingMax I'm not so sure. However I did come across a KingMax datasheet which gives the info below:

Capacity Sequential Sequential Random Random Unit
Read Write Read Write
32MB 6236 1562 6360 710 KB/s
64MB 6617 3386 6551 1269 KB/s
128MB 6858 6009 6824 1538 KB/s
256MB 8912 7843 8854 1592 KB/s
512MB 9225 8139 9098 1506 KB/s
1GB 9229 8238 9098 1848 KB/s

Most manufacturers work with sequential read and write I believe. This gives about 61.5x for the read speed and 54.9x-54.3X) for the write for the 512mb and 1 gb . I'm not sure if this is the card commonly quoted as 60x but it may very well be the case.

Of course, one key issue not touched here is that there are various ways to test the speeds, some of them may give better results then others. I don't know if there is a standard way to measure the speeds but if not, you can bet some manufacturers speeds while appearing higher on paper might not actually be higher in practice due to testing differences.

Unfortunately for many of the manufacturers here, coming across data for the read and write speeds is difficult at the best of times. I still haven't found any data for TwinMOS. TwinMOS website says 4.8mbps min write, 6.0 mbps min read. What the heck does min mean? Most manufacturers quote a max rating. Personally, I think that min means the minimum for that line. For example, the newly launched TwinMOS 2 gb is 10MBPS and write speed 7.9MBPS. They call it 66x. The read speed is indeed about 66x. Write speed is 52.6x. What is the so called TwinMOS 1gb 60x then? I assume read is about 9 MBPS but what is the write speed? I haven't been able to find out!

Lessons to be learnt from this? Don't trust the the x rating. Ask what it means. Ask for both read and write speed as this varies!!
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:17 AM   #8

I use the Sandisk Extreme III. It is 133X !
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:57 AM   #9

I've got a couple of 512MB Panasonic Pro High Speed SD cards which are 133x (20MB/s). They are wicked fast, in my camera and when transfering to computer.
They are around Y8500 here ($80USD), and memory seems to be a bit more expensive in Japan, so you might be able to pick them up for even less.
foomfoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 9:42 PM   #10

The underlying question here is what is the fastest memory speed that the Lumix FZ5 will properly utilize? It makes no sense to get 133x memory if the camera can only read/write at some substantially slower speed and that speed is determined by the camera's internal circuitry. If anyone knows -= then please post the answer.

I am trying to decide between the ultra II and the Extreme III now and the answer to the above question will make the decison easier.

thanks

xjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote