Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:56 AM   #1

Hi!

I just got this awesome little IXUS 40 (or Powershot SD300, as it's called in the US). Now, the 16MB card that it comes with is obviously not enough, so I've decided to get a 1GB card instead. Problem? Well, how fast does the card have to be able to handle recording of 640x480 video at 30fps? I'm set on this TwinMOS UltraX card that has the following specs:

Read: min 6MB/sec
Write: min 4.8MB/sec

The movies recorded take up approximately 2MB/s, so this card should work fine, but I'm not gonna take a chance on this... Please inform me!
Brunnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2005, 7:47 PM   #2
Administrator

I'm not familiar with the TwinMOS UltraX brand of Secure Digital Card. Chances are, it's using rebranded components from someone else (Sandisk, Toshiba and Panasonic are the largest suppliers of Secure Digital Components).

In any event, I've seen this topic debated before (how fast of a card is needed for 640x480 30fps movies in the SD300 and SD400 series models.

The general opinion seems to be that most cards will work fine (i.e., you don't need a 10mb/second card like the Panasonics, Simpletechs, Sandisk Ultra II, etc.). I've even seen users report that standard speed Sandisk SD cards worked with high speed movies (which surprised me).

Personally, to be on the safe side, I'd go with a high speed (9 - 10mb/second) card anyway, unless there was a significant price difference. These are becoming relatively inexpensive in the U.S. now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 1:21 AM   #3

Actually, the Sandisk is about 25 dollars more here in Sweden... Let's hope someone that owns the TwinMOS card stumbles on this thread!
Old Mar 5, 2005, 5:42 AM   #4
Administrator

Chances are, it will work (especially given it's specifications, which appear to be faster than some of the older Sandisk SD Cards).
Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:15 AM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Chances are, it will work (especially given it's specifications, which appear to be faster than some of the older Sandisk SD Cards).
Hell, I'll get the TwinMOS. Recording movies probably won't be a problem. The continous mode might put a higher load on the card, but I won't use that feature anyway.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:12 AM   #6
Administrator

I did some more digging around and found this comment from an SD200 user (and the SD200 appears to have similar electronics compared to the SD300):

"I tried Kingston 512Mb and the highest quality video mode and the buffer was filled after 19 sec's. Bought TwinMOS Ultra-X 1Gb instead which can record the whole card full (approx 9 min) without stopping. Other then the Ultra-X, I can recommend Sandisk Ultra II."

Old Mar 6, 2005, 4:33 AM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I did some more digging around and found this comment from an SD200 user (and the SD200 appears to have similar electronics compared to the SD300):

"I tried Kingston 512Mb and the highest quality video mode and the buffer was filled after 19 sec's. Bought TwinMOS Ultra-X 1Gb instead which can record the whole card full (approx 9 min) without stopping. Other then the Ultra-X, I can recommend Sandisk Ultra II."
Wow! Thanks for the help! Looks like TwinMOS UltraX does the trick then. I'm eager to get rid of this 16MB card now...
Old Apr 9, 2005, 1:39 AM   #8

I also tried using the Kingston 128MB SD card that comes with my Ixus 40 for movie recording @ 640x480 30fps but will record only for 16sec though card is not full. At 320x240 30fps and 60fps, card will record until full, around 2min 47sec. waiting for a nice deal of 1GB 60x or higher... :-)
alexzkhy is offline   Reply With Quote