Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 7, 2002, 1:49 AM   #11
lg

Default Olympus says send it back...

Well, formatting it under every available cluster size didn't fix the problem. Also, it appears that the card that works has 16K clusters, but I can't format the card using 16K clusters because the format command won't allow it. Gibson, thanks for the suggestion anyway!

I contacted Olympus technical support, and they said if cleaning the contacts with alcohol didn't fix it, to send it back for repair/replacement. Unless anyone else has any other ideas, I'll send it in some time next week.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 3:14 AM   #12

Just FYI...I think this was discussed in another thread...I bought two 128MB SM cards (PQI) at a local electronics store (Fry's) for $37.95 each. Somebody here posted a price of $29.95 at Best Buy. I checked a local BB...their price was $79.95 for a Sandisk 128! A long way from $29.95!
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 7:13 AM   #13

lg
Olympus has always been faithful to support their equipment. You can find 128mb smart media at www.newegg.com for less than $45
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 1:59 PM   #14

gibson,
Interesting website. Thanks. The range of prices for SM and CF cards amazes me. If you read the specs, it's not clear that you get what you pay for. The cheapo cards I bought came with a five-year warranty. They work fine, and write speed seems to be about the same as my Oly cards.
Old Dec 7, 2002, 10:04 PM   #15

I purchased a SanDisk SM 128M card from my local brick-n-mortar Staples for $27.94 (after $10 mail in rebate), but it was a one day promo deal.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 10:32 PM   #16

jawz,
That's a great price!!! There's a Staples about a mile from my house! I gotta watch their ads closer. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 2:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Bigelow
Just FYI...I think this was discussed in another thread...I bought two 128MB SM cards (PQI) at a local electronics store (Fry's) for $37.95 each. Somebody here posted a price of $29.95 at Best Buy. I checked a local BB...their price was $79.95 for a Sandisk 128! A long way from $29.95!
They were probably referring to the day after Thanksgiving sale (aka Black Friday). I was at Best Buy at 4:30am, got in at 6am, grabbed a few things as well as the Compact Flash and Smart Media. Limit 5 of each @ 29.99. So I got (5) 128meg Sandisk Smart Media cards and (5) 128meg Sandisk Compact Flash cards for ~$300. No rebates to deal with. All instant
LordAthens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 2:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Bigelow
That $29 price I quoted was a special Best Buy was running during the 2 days after Thanksgiving. It *was* real.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 5:54 PM   #19

:idea: :arrow: With Smart Media this is a common problem.
The easy way is to format the media with Format program designed maily for SmartMedia

visit the below link.
http://store.compuapps.com/usb11products.html

They provide format software which can solve your porblem
or you can look for OmniFlashProducts SmartMedia reader/writer.
smart_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 8:18 AM   #20
lg

I've already sent the card to Olympus for repair/replacement, but thanks for your suggestion. Smart_guy, have you actually used the program to reformat smartmedia and have it repair cards before?
lg is offline   Reply With Quote