Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 21, 2002, 9:05 AM   #21

Question along the same lines...I bought a Classic MP3 player that used SM cards, well the Classic formatted the card for MP3's and now I can't fromat it back so I can use it in the camera. Any ideas? I tried to format it using a USB connected card reader under WIN2K, no luck. I would appreciate any ideas..

Thanks,
Jim101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 9:22 AM   #22

Gibson,

I tried the format from dos and got back "error in TOCTL call"? Have you ever seen that?

Thanks
Jim101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 8:39 AM   #23

lg,
I am a little confused, When you have a sales receipt and warrenty the question is not "how to fix" but "how to prevent it from happening again". lg, I know you know alot of what I am going to say.
1. Never switch card to different model camera with pictures on it.
2. Never upload pictures that were not taken by camera to it, if taken by cam and picture has any software mods done, do not upload.
3. Non-olympus SM must be formated by cam before 1st use.
4. Many people loose formatting by the method used to clear card with card reader. A very safe way with reader is:
my computer
removeable storage drive "*"
the three sets of double clickes to get to picture icones.

then up top to "edit"
then "select all"
then uptop to "file"
Then "delete".

Hope this helps someone,
Gary :idea:
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 11:57 AM   #24

Quote:
3. Non-olympus SM must be formated by cam before 1st use
I just had some experience with this problem. I bought two non-Oly 128MB cards. When I put them in the camera, the control panel showed 33 pix capacity, which is correct for my E20 in SHQ mode, so I assumed the cards were already formatted. When the card was full, I plugged it into the card reader and when I plugged the reader into the computer, the message was something like "Do you want to format this card?" I was horrified, thought I had lost the pictures! I solved the problem by re-inserting the card in the camera, along with a CF card, (E20 has both slots) and transferred the pix to the CF card. And THEN I formatted the SM card!
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 1:44 PM   #25
lg

Gary, thanks for your post! Your point is well taken in that we need to know "how to prevent it from happening again..." I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what I might have done to cause the problem, and your last item suggested what may have happened.

I may have formatted the card in a card reader at work, for the purpose of transfering some data from work to home. This may have caused the problem. As I have two cards, I probably used the spare one and put it up until I needed it again. I didn't notice any problems with the card until I put it into a friend's 720 to show him how to use the panorama function. It didn't work then, and it hasn't worked since.

I guess the bottom line is that I won't ever format the card in anything but my camera from now on. I had forgotten about clearing the card in the card reader when I did the data transfer, but that won't ever happen again! I don't know for sure that this is the problem, and I'm not willing to risk another card to try it.

By the way, I haven't ever used the method you suggested to clear the card, because I have XP. With XP, a Wizard pops up when you insert the card in the reader. You can simply check a box to indicate that you want to delete all images on the card after successful transfer, and that's what I have always used.

Thanks again for your helpful post-- perhaps it will save someone else from a similar fate! Thanks again to all who shared their thoughts on this issue.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 2:27 PM   #26

Gary-
Because of the problems reported by others who use USB card readers, I've gotten into the habit of using the camera to erase (clear) all image frames from the card after they have been uploaded.

Am I being unnecessarily cautious?

jeff
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 2:51 PM   #27

I've never had a problem cleaning the card while it's plugged into the computer, after transferring the images. I just Ctrl-A (select all) followed by Right-Click Delete. I delete the files and leave the folder. Don't know what would happen if I deleted the folder, but I think the cam firmware would restore it before writing the first image. I'm not going to test that, though....
Old Dec 31, 2002, 4:50 PM   #28

Jeff,
Have sold about 50 Olympus cams in this rural area. Guess we all know that the Olys tend to be a format nightmare if deleted. All cams were sold with readers and instructions I gave above. I try to keep things real safe and foolproof as some of the digicam owners are getting close to 80. Bert that is why I do not tell ctrl A. Got to keep it real simple. If you ever need to remove "dirty" pictures from SM card dry cleaning works best, they come back "G" rated on a hanger. :?:
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 7:28 PM   #29

Gary,
Ooops...I meant "clearing", not "cleaning."
Loved your solution, though.... :lol:
Old Apr 1, 2003, 5:37 PM   #30

Default Olympus SmartMedia Fix

Try this site for Olympus Smartmedia info
http://www.marshost.com/~rashmun/
slobo is offline   Reply With Quote