Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 20, 2005, 8:44 AM   #1

Ok, I'm looking for Portable CD Burners and Portable Hard Drives here in Vancouver, Canada BUT it is so difficult. Its like no one has them. So far I saw that London Drugs has the Apacer CD Burner but the old one and like only the Nikon Coolwalker and some other expensive digital wallet. Why is it so hard to find these types of products? Is their anyone here in Canada that knows where to buy these products?

So far, the only Canadian store I've been able to find the Apacer Disc Steno CP200 is in a store in Ontario! And I really don't want to order online. Its going for $259.04CAD. Is that even a good price? The link to the site is below.

http://www.bytewizecomputers.com/products/7/34/110/5438

Vanessa
vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2005, 9:12 PM   #2

Why do you want a portable cd-burner? You can buy portable hard drives at Futureshop.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 2:40 AM   #3

what are you going to use it for? i needed them b/ci was going overseas for a while. my laptop has a small hdd and no cd burner. what i did is went to locally owed computer shops and bought external enclosures for my hdd & burner from my desktop. it's really cheap to go this route. enclosures are about $50CAD last time i checked.

there are many options to choose from depending on what you want. if size is an issue, you can buy a laptop hdd and external enclosure. if it's not, you can take a the one from you desktop. there are mp3 players that have and/or have the ability to read flash memory cards.

g'luck.
new2this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:38 AM   #4

if you are using it for storing pictures in the field i think this is the coolest way to go (cause i did it and i am cool.)

i got an iPod photo 30GB ($349 US) and a camera connecter ($29US)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ore=M9861G%2FA

im waiting for the camera connector to come in the mail but from what i have heard it is pretty darn sweet.

i liked going this route because even though it cost a little bit more, i can still use the iPod for music when im not taking pictures
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:20 AM   #5

Basically I want one of these because this summer I will be backpacking in Europe for 3 months and need a place to store all my photos. I finally found a portable cd burner at Futureshop but haven't seen any portable hard drives where I can stick my SD card in. Can you send the link if you see it?
vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 3:09 AM   #6

http://www.ncix.com/is in Vancouver
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:22 AM   #7

Vanessa,

imo, if you are just buying the HDD & burner for 3 months, it's not worth it. I'm not sure how much travelling you did, but from my experience, 99.99999999% of travellers simply go to local photo/computer shops and get their pictures burned. You'll find them all over...especially in europe. They have card readers so you won't have to worry about anything. When you backpack, you don't want to be carrying too much....especially computer parts.

I've travelled quite a bit and found no problems finding digital services even in places like cambodia. You'll be perfectly fine in Europe.

Hope that helps & happy travels.

new2this is offline   Reply With Quote