Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 3, 2002, 11:54 AM   #1

Default xd vs sm vs cf

which one is a faster in-camera writing format? compact flash, smartmedia or xd? I need to buy one of them for my camera, and would like to get the fastest one for it. I remember seeing cf cards noted as 2X or 4X or something, and am assuming it means speed?
thanx
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2002, 12:10 PM   #2

Geof
Check this site: http://digigraphica.com/oped/02/xdpicture.shtml

The writer indicates that XD will be fastest.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 2:33 PM   #3
NHL

Default MemoryStick, SM/xD, then CF fastest

FYI

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4920

It goes from purely serial (MemoryStick) to 4/8-bit (SM/xD) then 8/16-bit (Compact Flash) per access... You do the math (and forget the hype)!!!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 5:37 PM   #4

Default Re: xd vs sm vs cf

Quote:
Originally Posted by geof
which one is a faster in-camera writing format? compact flash, smartmedia or xd? I need to buy one of them for my camera, and would like to get the fastest one for it. I remember seeing cf cards noted as 2X or 4X or something, and am assuming it means speed?
thanx
Obviosuly, you need to get the card that works in your camera.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 7:33 PM   #5

the new olympus 5050 baby: it works with all three!!!
the reason i ask is so that i can buy a larger one of the fastest for photo writing, and with this camera's super feature i can dump the images into one of the others when i have down time.
thanks for the input guys
Old Dec 3, 2002, 7:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by geof
the new olympus 5050 baby: it works with all three!!!
the reason i ask is so that i can buy a larger one of the fastest for photo writing, and with this camera's super feature i can dump the images into one of the others when i have down time.
thanks for the input guys
All 3?? Seems like a waste to me.. I could see maybe 2. But why go with SM *and* XD? XD seems to be replacing the Smart Media. Are there 3 seperate slots? Or adapters?
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 7:53 PM   #7
NHL

Your best bet will be CF then. It's the fastest as well as @ 5Mpixels, 128M seem pretty puny!... and you'll be swaping card all the time.

With the benefit of inexpensive rechargeable NiMh may be a microdrive is the way to go since it's also the fastest (although it'll depend on the Oly) and the cheapest cost/MB! It only need about a second to spin up each time the camera is turned on...
Old Dec 3, 2002, 8:46 PM   #8

Ok, in answer to your original question about which is the fastest:

CompactFlash
Current storage capacity = 32 - 512MB (physical max of 2GB+)
Write Speed = 150Kb/s Ė 1.8Mb/s
Read Speed = 850Kb/s

SmartMedia
Current storage capacity = 2 - 128MB (physical max of 128MB)
Write Speed = 1.3Mb/s (16, 32 MB) or 3.0Mb/s (64MB+)
Read Speed = 5.0Mb/s

xD-Picture Card
Current storage capacity = 16 - 256MB (physical 8GB Max)
Write Speed = 1.3Mb/s (16, 32 MB) or 3.0Mb/s (64MB+)
Read Speed = 5.0Mb/s

This information is from Fujiís web site but unfortunately they donít have any info for microdrives, which have different properties to normal CF cards.

Iím not sure if they made a typo stating the SM times the same as the xD ones, but either way theyíre significantly faster than CF cards. Another important point is that CF cards draw 6◊ the power of SM and xD cards, and microdrives use even more than that.

Iíd go for the xD format, Fuji and Olympus have developed it especially for the current and future generations of digital cameras which need to write large files at high speeds.

Ed
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 8:50 AM   #9

jsmeeker:"All 3?? Seems like a waste to me.. I could see maybe 2."
you wouldn't say that if you allready owned 3 128mb sm's from
your previous olympus. Kudos to olympus for introducing access to new media without making the one i previously used obsolete.
Where this gets interesting with the 5050, (and this is what i hope i can do), is to write on an sm or xd, and in the break transfer to a microdrive. The beauty about this is that i can get enough 5 mp shots in a sm or xd, and (the best part) i can transfer to a cf or microdrive WITHIN the camera .
eddie: if your write up is correct, its good news to me. See my point is that i get in situations (gragonboat races) where i need to be able to take pictures fairly fast, and inbetween races i can dunp and clean up the card. If the xd and sm are indeed faster, sweet!!!

thanks guys for the info.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 8:53 AM   #10
NHL

Don't believe the marketing hype!

This is facts:

1- 2Gb is the limitation of the Digital Camera File (DCF) system. ie DOS fat-16. All digital cameras except for the EOS-1Ds (fat-32) will have this physical 2G limit regardless of SM, xD, or CF!

2- There are no other card that you can buy except CF that can have more than the current 256Mb limit:http://www.pretec.com/

3- There was a typo in the article since no flash can have a write access time faster than their read time. A write always requires multiple cycles in any flash, and that what a camera does mostly when it stores the pictures to flash. A microdrive however can have the same read/write access time:http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/micro/datasheet.htm and is the fastest!

4- One can overcome the power consumption of the microdrives with cheap NiMh batteries:http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...108&highlight=... even 2100mAh!

5- Sustained write speed is what critical. CF card has built-in controller to make it look like a hardisk interface to speed-up this transfer (MemoryStick has a built-in controller to make it act like a serial bus)... A 5Mb/s read burst is meaningless!!!

6- Check what the new Kodak DCS14n (with the fastest write time) and EOS-1Ds use as storage for their new cameras...http://www.robgalbraith.com/media/co...ak_dcs760.html