Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 3, 2002, 10:56 AM   #1

Default Will the Olympus E10 benifit from faster CF cards?

Hi,
I just bot an Olympus E10 (haven't received it yet), and I know Im going to need more memory.
I was wondering if the faster CF cards would be worthwhile to get?
In other words, does the E10 take advantage of say, 25X CF cards? Or does it top out with slower CF cards (12X or lower?).

The reason I ask, is because I can spend $97 for a good Transcend 25X 256MB CF card, or spend $73 for a "high speed" 256MB CF card.
If I wont see a performance increase by using the faster 25X media, I'll just get the cheaper stuff (made by Samsung, so I know the quality is good).

Thanks!

-Ryan Dinan
RyanDinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2002, 12:24 PM   #2

Both E-10 and E-20 top out at around 600KB/s write speed, so none of the higher speed cards would make much of a difference. But performance varies from card to card... for example, a high speed rated CF (no "x" denomination) from Kingston operates nearly identically as a Lexar 12x, except at writing raw files, where the Lexar pulls ahead by one second. Same thing for writing TIFF's, Lexar 24 seconds, Kingston 25 seconds. I'm not trying to push anything from Lexar, I like the brand and its products, but the Kingston was a much more sound buy since it cost nearly or less than half of what the Lexar was going for. Also, some advertised cheap CF's seem to perform poorly... I also have a Canon/Sandisk CF that is 3 seconds slower at writing raw files, and 4 seconds slower at writing TIFF's (compared to the Lexar). I'd say if you plan on keeping the E-10 for a long long time, don't bother with 24x CF's, just get a 4x or 8x, or whatever highspeed card is available. But if you plan to move on to more professional cameras later on you may opt to purchase the 24x and faster CF's - knowing they'll do nothing to speed up your E-10.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 1:02 PM   #3

Thanks Alberto - Exactly the info I was looking for!
Sheesh....600KB/sec....That's only 4X!

I went ahead and ordered two 128MB Crucial CF cards for $84.78 delivered. Crucial makes great memory, so I hope their CF cards are no exception.

One more question if you dont mind -

Since the E10 has a 32MB SDRAM buffer, does it wait until it's full before writing to the card, or does it attempt to write to the card whenever it has a chance? It would be nice if it starts writing to the card, thereby freeing up more buffer space when say, you're composing your next shot, or just in downtime..

Thanks!

-Ryan Dinan
Old Dec 3, 2002, 1:14 PM   #4

The E-10 starts writing to the memory card as soon as the shot is taken, it doesn't wait for the buffer to get filled to start doing so C'mon, we paid a reasonable sum for our E-10's (I probably paid muy more since I got it two years ago) we should expect as much :lol: But I wished it would write a bit faster than 600KB/s...
Old Dec 3, 2002, 3:01 PM   #5

If the camera starts writing promptly after the shot is taken, does that induce a noticeable performance hit if you were to start navigating in the menu, and previewing images and such (during that writing period)?
I'm just curious, because if I take a large TIFF file (11.7MB), that would take some time to write (~20 seconds by my calculations).

Or, can you not preview/navigate the menus at all when the camera is writing to the card?

Thanks!

-Ryan
Old Dec 3, 2002, 3:17 PM   #6

Unfortunately you can't navigate the menus while the camera is writing the image to the card. But you can take another shot since the buffer is not full. You can change exposure settings as well. You can do everything else like change white balance, adjust exposure compensation, change exposrue meter (spot, center, matrix), change to another lens mode (macro, wide/tele, TCON-300 tele), etc... You can set up the camera to display the image taken while it writes it to the card, but it slows the shot to shot performance. I usually take my pictures at SHQ and HQ, always with the max resolution - there's no gain in shooting at the lower resolutions, it actually takes longer to process and write to the memory card.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 3:25 PM   #7

Thanks for the info Alberto!

I'll probably end up using SHQ since the file size is so much smaller...I assume you could take quite a few shots in a row using SHQ since the file sizes are so much smaller...
I'll only use TIFF for extremely important images.....
I heard that the image quality differences between SHQ and TIFF are pretty hard to see. But since I tend to be very sensitive to JPEG artifacts, I'll just have to see how they look

Thanks again for your all your help!

-Ryan
Old Dec 3, 2002, 3:28 PM   #8

BTW -
It would be really cool if there was a way to increase the buffer size on the camera....maybe solder on a larger RAM chip :P

Also - Are there any firmware updates that I should be aware of? I couldn't find any on Oly's site, but then again, I didnt see a flashing utility either....I'm guessing you have to send your camera in to get it updated?

-Ryan