Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 25, 2005, 4:04 AM   #1

I recently purchased a 512 Olympus xD card with panorama function to use with my Fuji S7000. All I get is CARD ERROR and can't record any images. I formatted the card in the camera, makes no difference at all. Would formatting the card using a reader/writer with my comp solve the problem. I don't have a reader/writer, any suggestions on a good one?
dazza_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2005, 2:36 PM   #2

It sounds like you may have a defective card (assuming it's inserted properly into the camera). You shouldn't have to format the card. I have two Oly xD cards, and I just popped them into my camera (S5100), and started taking pictures - no formatting required. Try a different card...does it work? If so, I would think that your card is the problem. I don't have a card reader yet, but I've been looking at the Olympus MAUSB-100. They have been selling on ebay for about $15. I believe they have a newer version, the MAUSB-300, but I don't know what the difference is between them.

Good luck.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 4:27 PM   #3

thanks for the reply,

The 16MB Fuji card that came with the camera works fine. I got the Oly512 card off e-bay, this is the second card that didn't work. I sent the first one back and the bloke at xeltec solutions reckoned the card worked in his olympus mju mini digitaland sent me another. I'm yet to hear back about the second one.

cheers
Old Mar 26, 2005, 1:22 AM   #4

Took the camera and card to Harvey Norman today. They tried the card in a Fuji 5500 and it worked fine. They then tried the card in a S7000 that was in the shop and got the same result as with my camera. A 256MB Olympus xD was then successfully tried with my S7000. Not sure what to do with theOlympus512xD card and why didn't it work in both S7000 models but did in the 5500.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 7:41 AM   #5

So maybe it's a problem with your camera...or all S7000's? I can't imagine a certain capacity card not working in a camera which is designed to use them. I understand that my S5100 can not use a 1 Gig card, since the camera was designed prior to the release of the 1 Gig's. If you get stuck with a 512 card you can't use, maybe I'll buy it off you (LOL)?

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:14 PM   #6

I had the same trouble and by accident I found a site through e-bay that repairs, reformats and recovers those disks. It is suppose to be guaranteed for a yr. I just sent mine in so I can't vouch for it, but you can check it out yourself. It cost $4.99. email saul perez at [email protected].... or search thru ebay for smartmedia repair, panorama service, and photo recovery.
minnieusa11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:23 PM   #7

Received e-mail from Fuji. They report having trouble with Olympus 512xD cards and S7000 specifically. They think it may have something to do with the panoramic function. I have since contacted exeltek and they have replaced the 512MB xD+ $50AUDwith 2 X 256MB Olympus xD cards. Received them today and they both work fine without any formatting required. The cards have the panoramic feature, maybe this is only a problem with the 512MB cards.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 9:34 AM   #8

Ive a similar problem .. just bought 2 128Mb Olympus Xd cards from reputable place on net .. just get "card error" in my S7000.

They work fine in the computer .. can copy photos onto em up tocard size .. but the camera refuses:blah: to have anything to do with em ..

suspect it may be a contact problem .. have cleaned the cards but how do you clean the contacts in the camera?:?

oldmanben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:30 PM   #9

I wouldn't attempt cleaning the camera slot. It wasn't until i'de tried other xD cards with the camera that I knew the camera wasn't at fault. Perhaps it could be worth a trip to your nearest friendly camera shop.
Old May 27, 2005, 9:07 PM   #10

This is the email I JUST got from Fuji. Sounds kinda like a email they have

been sending out since the camera came out. I don't know what to buy.

Dear James,

Thank you for contacting Fujifilm, USA's Contact Center. Please allow me to be of assistance.

Please be advised that the FinePix S7000 Digital Camera will accept any xD-Picture Card from 16MB to 512MB. As larger capacity cards become available, this camera will be able to accept up to a 2GB card.

We sincerely hope that this information has been beneficial to you. If you should have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. It would be our pleasure to assist you.

Thank you for your interest in Fujifilm Digital Imaging products and services.

Respectfully,
Contact Support Agent 312
Fujifilm Contact Center
1-800-800-3854[/code][/code][/code]
Kyguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote