Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 8, 2002, 11:17 AM   #1

Default PCMCIA Card or Card Reader?

Hi all,

I am a newbie to digital photography and have just received my first camera (Olympus C730). Extremely please so far. Currently I am deciding between buying a card reader or the PCMCIA card for the olympus xD format. I don't have the budget to buy both.

Some pros and cons I have kinda derive so far.

PCMCIA
Pros
-Portable
-Transfer Speed (Is it much faster than card readers?)
Cons
-Price (more expensive)
-can only be used on a notebooks

Card Reader
Pros
-Price (Slightly Cheaper)
-Can be used both on PC and Notebooks
Cons
-Speed?
-Slightly bigger?

Currently, I am transferring the pictures directly from the camera. If there are no real apparent benefits of any of the devices above, I may as well just stick to my current practice.

Cheers!
Vincent
Vincentan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2002, 12:20 PM   #2

Quote:
If there are no real apparent benefits of any of the devices above, I may as well just stick to my current practice.
Ask in the forum for your specific camera. With some cameras there is a large increase in speed by using a reader/PCMCIA, with others - little or none. If there is no speed increase, I'd suggest using your money to buy and AC adapter - it really isn't good to have the power fail while downloading pictures. The AC adapter is also usefull for tethered/studio shots as well as being cheaper.

I am convinced that most problems with memory are a result of handling. If you are carefull, problems are rare in any case so that isn't a real big issue, but the fewer chances for things to wrong, the less problems.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 2:06 PM   #3

You can check special offer bundle. Very often, they sell a CF card with a USB reader/writer or a PCMCIA adapter alsmost "free", so I guess they will do the same with xD cards ?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 2:19 PM   #4

Well, I have one of each. USB reader for the desktop, and PCMCIA adpater for the notebook. Of course, I'm using Compact Flash, so the PCMCIA adapter was very inexpensive. Cheaper than the USB reader. Big benefit of CF, if you ask me.

Do you have jsut a desktop? Just a notebook? Both? If its jsut a dektop, get a USB reader and leave it plugged in all the time. If your computer is very, very new, it will have USB 2.0, and I'm sure you can find a USB 2.0 reader. It will be plenty fast. Much fater than USB 1.x. Of course, you can always add USB 2.0 to an existing machine if speed is a major issue for you. I would suggest doing that (installing USB 2.0) over installing some sort of PCMCIA slot on the desktop.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 5:12 PM   #5
NHL

My 2c.

A PCMCIA adapter is the fastest. In this mode the Output Enable (OE) pin is enabled all the time making the PC-card enabled device looks like an IDE hardrive with the fastest transfer around! Yes, even faster than a USB2.0 or Firewire reader card, but there'a price to be paid: the power draw is up there as well, so the flash cards and especially the microdrive will get extremely hot (much hotter than inside the camera)!

xD cards might have their own limitation, like bus width for example, as compare to a CF that'll have a wider bus, so you'll also see some speed difference here as well between families of cards:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5192
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 5:20 AM   #6

A PCMCIA card is far faster than either USB or Firewire. If you do not have a PCMCIa slot you can add one to a desktop via one of your 5.25 bays. The adapter for CF cards costs less than $10 but I realize you have something different.
roadman is offline   Reply With Quote