Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 7, 2005, 4:54 AM   #1

It seems that there is lots of topics regarding the ultra II. What i want to know is that would ultra II be faster on any type of digital camera? From the Scandisk websites and other websites, i can conclude that it is faster but would it be faster on my digital camera? I have a pentax s40.

It seems like whenever i take a picture, there a big time waiting period for me to take another one. I have to wait about 3 to 5 seconds for me to take another picture. So, if i did get a ultra II, would that waiting time be shorter to maybe 1 to 3 seconds?

I also have a sony cybershot p-72 and i'm wondering the same question regarding memory stick pro?

thanks guys
soondeh4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:46 AM   #2

first of all its sandisk. scandisk is a windows utility.

the times will vary per camera due to the way its pipeline is controlled to the card. it may be minor or major differences,. in digicams if your using the original sandisk red/blue card there will be at least a minor bump up in xfr rate. but this cannot be guarenteed to be noticable.

there is also the warranty difference 5yrs on the R/B lifetime on the U2

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 4:54 PM   #3
ico

Hi

Id like to ask about my Sandisk memory stick 512MB Ultra II Pro. The capacity of card showed on my computer is 468MB:?. I formatted the card and the capacity is still same. I dont know if its good or not. Please help . Thank you Ico
ico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 5:18 PM   #4

There will always be an overhead when you format any drive, be it computer hard drive or sandisk cf card. What you are seeing is normal. The FAT (File Allocation Table) takes up the space you think you are missing.
mitchcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 5:22 PM   #5
Administrator

ico wrote:
Quote:
Hi

Id like to ask about my Sandisk memory stick 512MB Ultra II Pro. The capacity of card showed on my computer is 468MB:?. I formatted the card and the capacity is still same. I dont know if its good or not. Please help . Thank you Ico
This is normal with Secure Digital media (operating system shows less space available than the card's rated size).

For one thing, most operating systems look at how space is measured differently (assuming that 1MB = 1024kb or 1,048,576 bytes).

Secure Digital vendors don't seem to do this (they assume that 1MB = 1,000,000 bytes).

Also, a small portion of the space on the card is allocated for securityfeatures (this space is not accessable by the operating system). This is why they're called "Secure Digital" (but I don't know of any camera manufacturers that make use of the security features of this card type yet).

In addition, the FAT (File Allocation Table) takes up some of the space.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 9:28 PM   #6

They're still slower than the Xd's! :lol: :blah:
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:10 AM   #7

hey mr south texas it's xD and the only thing that ain't faster then xD is a desert tortise.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:08 AM   #8
Administrator

Ok guys... Let's not start a fight over media types. ;-)

xD Picturecard has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

As for speed, as a general rule, Secure Digital has been releasing faster cards prior to xD Picturecard. But, xD Picturecardspeed has been improving.

Also, Fuji and Olympus models tend to be "optmized" for xD Picturecard (models that support bothboth CF and xD Picturecard media tend to work faster with xD Picturecard).

The fastest camera model I've seen use it yet is the new Fuji S3 Pro (where it was able to write to one xD Picturecardat around 3.8 mb/second). In contrast, this model's write speeds to fast CompactFlash media was around 2.1mb/second (even though this same CompactFlash media may be a LOT faster in some non-Fuji models)

Most xD Picturecard media larger than 128mb is rated at around 4mb second write and 5mb/second read now. But, I understand that newer media may be much faster (perhaps even as fast as newer SD media, since I've seen one vendor advertising 133x cards, which is the same as some of the newer SD cards).

Of course, if a camera's interface can't support faster transfer speeds, then it really doesn't matter in real world use.

Many Secure Digital Cards have been rated at around 9-10mb/second for a long time now, and some newer SD cards from Panasonic (Pro Series) and Sandisk (Extreme III Series) are 20mb/second. I suspect the same thing may be true for the latest and greatest xD, since I found one vendorstating 133x (you just don't see Fuji and Olympus publishing speed specs much for this media)

One of the problems that I suspect is impacting accurate benchmarks with most card readers is that xD Picturecard requires an adapter with most readers. Even without one,I suspect that many readers are just not optimized for this media. So, the general consensus is that it's much slower than other modern media types (which may not be true given an optimized interface to it).

In any event, this is totally off topic for this thread. So, let's keep the comments related to what the poster asked about.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 5:00 PM   #9

so which one is better for a Canon A510?

The Sandisk Ultra 2 or the Sandisk blue and red?
Bridge of Clay is offline   Reply With Quote