Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:32 PM   #11

Matthew, thanks for the feedback. Gazzelle, great information relative to my potential use also. Could you give me any feedback on battery longevity or if there is any way to increase battery longevity while in use?
Thanks for your help.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 4:43 AM   #12

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
Golfer, going with your first choice can quite often be the right decision,
Golfer, it does seem that this may well be true in this case.

Gazelle2 has given the Epson P-2000 a glowing review and I have just read another glowing review of the machine in a magazine over here. That reviewer Pointed out the very user friendly interface, it supports Mpeg4 video, MP3 audio, on board speaker, which in his opinion, is not up to much, but sounds much better with earphones. The battery lasted approx. 2 to 3 hoursunder typical loading and viewing conditions and on another occasion listened to audio for nearly 10 hours. And with a 40Gig hard drive, more than enough space.

Although I said I would be happy just knowing that my images were actually on the machine, I have since realized that the best way to confirm this is to be able to view the images on the host machine. That way you can be absolutely sure the images are there before you format your memory cards before re-use.

Good luck with your decision.

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 9:39 PM   #13

Boy; when brilliant minds get together it gets scary. Stevekin, you verbalized my thought process exactly. The screen from what I have read now is very clear. That means I can delete bad shots or just review if I want to, or show to others. Pretty quick feedback.
I liked it so well, I ordered one. The only potential problem in my feble mind now is battery life. 2-3 hours may not be avery long time on a 3 or 4 day trip. Wondered if there was any one who had attempted to improve in this area.
You guys are too sharp for me, and way ahead of me. Thanks for your hlep.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:11 PM   #14

Golfer,

Don't forget my CF card and laptop rental program:blah: I could just meet you somewhere along the Buffalo each day and do a quick dump for you. Oh my, did I just say that?:P

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 11:29 PM   #15

Golfer,

Gazelle2 here. I didn't have a battery problem since I was able to get back to an electrical outlet every evening. I read a review where they said that they were able to download nine or ten 1-gig CF cards to the Epson before they got the low battery warning. Even then they downloaded another seven or eight cards and ran out of testinginititiativebefore they ran out of Epson battery.

If I was going to be out of touch with recharging power for three or four days, I would change the way I confirmed the download and press on. Rather than checking every photo on the Epson, I would check the first and last of a downloaded string of photos. The trick to this is to:

1. Download the photos from the CF card to the P2000.

2. Scroll down to confirm the first photo in the string is there.

3. Scroll UP two clicks and you are looking at the last photo in the downloaded string.

That last step will save you having to scroll through (and open) every photo in the string. I would feel very comfortable that if the first and last photos were there, the rest of the string would be there also. That would shorten the download confirmation from ten or fifteen minutes to ten or fifteen seconds. At that point, I would declare the download successful and turn the P2000 off to save its battery to fight another day.

Good luck.

Gazelle2
Gazelle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:42 AM   #16

Trout Guy wrote:
Quote:
I could just meet you somewhere along the Buffalo each day and do a quick dump for you. Oh my, did I just say that?:P

TG
Derrall, I know that movie actors, rock stars and sports stars often start trends that others follow but....................................I would have thought better of you than 'doing' a Paula Radcliff :twisted:.

Stevekin.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 10:55 PM   #17

:? You guys crack me up. Troutguy, I think the river dump is a great idea, would you mind bringing along some wine and crackers, and that Paula girl can come as long as she remains quiet. LOL
Gazelle, you and I may be the only sane ones on this program, and, I'm not sure about you. Thanks for the batter info. Big help.
I will give you guys an update when my unit comes in. Maybe we can figure out a way to extend battery life.
By the way Steve, did I say you guys crack me up?
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:30 PM   #18

Sorry Golfer, what was that you said ?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 3:56 PM   #19

:?OK you guys, the P2000 came in; my first impressions,
1. It is a nice looking unit.
2. The screen is large and clear.
3. The copy from CF disk is easy and quick.
4. The copy from the P2000 to the computer so far is clunky and ridiculus. I expected a program to pop up when I plugged the USB cable into the unit, but that doesn't happen. The epson drive has to be manually located, opened, the file located, a file on the deskptop created and the file manually copied to the desktop file. No automation whatsoever.
5. The manual is junk, no help there.
6. There is an update from ver. 1 to 2 which I downloaded to the desptop. Had to call Epson to figure out where the instruction were hidden for installation.
So far, the unit gets a C.
Wonder if you other 2000 users have something I don't or I am just computer illeterate. I hoped it would be more automated than the ser up I have.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 5:17 PM   #20

:lol::lol::lol: Did I mention my rental CF and laptop dump program? I'll bet there would be a big need for that service to the canoers/kayakers along the Buffalo. :blah::blah::blah:

How much CF memory do you have Gary? Alternative would be to shoot JPEGs only.

TG (petitioning National Park Service for a business permit)
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote