Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 20, 2005, 3:14 PM   #1

I am ready to buy a digicam and narrowed my choice to the Sony P200. The one last question I need answered is in regards to the Memory Stick thing.

It appears that many do not like the Memory stick when compared to the SD card. Is this because of the price diff? It doesn't seem all that much more money. Maybe there is another reason for the dislike?

Should Sony's use of a memory stick give me pause in buying one of their cameras?
Geckoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 3:46 PM   #2

Geckoman wrote:
Quote:
I am ready to buy a digicam and narrowed my choice to the Sony P200. The one last question I need answered is in regards to the Memory Stick thing.

It appears that many do not like the Memory stick when compared to the SD card. Is this because of the price diff? It doesn't seem all that much more money. Maybe there is another reason for the dislike?

Should Sony's use of a memory stick give me pause in buying one of their cameras?

Well... About you choice: Very good! The P200 is one "Ferrari" still images.

Your question about Memory Stick... Unfortunately the coust of MS is very big compared to the SD. The MS is excellent media. The probleman is the ONLY the price.

I like very of her, but
your price really is bad!

It´s a very fast memory, mostly the series "PRO"

Enjoy!
lipschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 3:58 PM   #3
Administrator

Geckoman:

One of the perceived problems is that it's proprietary to Sony.

Unlike other types of media (used by a variety of camera manufacturers), to the best of my knowledge, only one non-Sony manufacturer of Digital Cameras supports Memory Stick Technology, and only in a small number of products.

Konica became the first manufacturer other than Sony to support theMemory Stick format when they launched the Konica Revio KD-400z. They released other similar models (Konica KD-310z, KD-410z, KD-500z, KD-510z) with memory stick support later. These models also support Secure Digital (they have two memory slots, so both card types can be in the cameras at the same time).

Konica and Minolta later merged to form Konica-Minolta. So, the products engineered originally by Konica continued to evolve within the Konica-Minolta line (DiMAGE G500,DiMAGE G400,DiMAGEG600, etc.).

The other perceived problem is price. Memory Stick media tends to be more expensive than the more popular Secure Digital and CompactFlash media.

So, yes, many users don't like Memory Stick Media. Many users don't like Xd Picturecard for the same reasons.

However, I would never personally select a camera model based on either Media type or Battery type. These issues are justtoo smallfor me to select a different model, if a manufacturer (regardless of media or battery type) has a camerathat I prefer.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 4:24 PM   #4

Great info, thanks for the responses.

As a follow up if the memory stick is proprietary to Sony stuff only how would someone be able to download their pictures to say a Palm PDA or at a Drug Store for pic development?

The second question I have is should I be looking into the purchase of a Memory Card Reader for my computer.

Thanks Again
Old Apr 20, 2005, 4:25 PM   #5

lipschutz wrote:
Quote:
Geckoman wrote:
Quote:

Well... About you choice: Very good! The P200 is one "Ferrari" still images.

Your question about Memory Stick... Unfortunately the coust of MS is very big compared to the SD. The MS is excellent media. The probleman is the ONLY the price.

I like very of her, but
your price really is bad!

It´s a very fast memory, mostly the series "PRO"

Enjoy!
From my limited knowledge of these things I went on to Best Buy and compared a 128mb SD media to a 128mb Mem Stick. It appears to be about a $9 difference? $30 for the SD and $39 for the Mem Stick. That's not all that much is it?
Old Apr 20, 2005, 4:31 PM   #6

yes.. I personally hate memory stick, but I'd be willing to tolerate it if I could just find myself an excellent deal on a Sony V1 (because of its nightshot feature), a TC, neutral density filter, modification to make nightshot available in full manual mode... (and no, I'm not telling what I'd use it for... )
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 4:32 PM   #7
Administrator

Geckoman wrote:
Quote:
As a follow up if the memory stick is proprietary to Sony stuff only how would someone be able to download their pictures to say a Palm PDA or at a Drug Store for pic development?
Many devices do support Memory Stick media now (card readers, photo printing kiosks, etc.).

But, unlike other media types (which are usually designed and backed by multiple manufacturers as a standard), Sony pretty much went it alone with Memory Stick. Hence, my use of the term Proprietary (perhaps too strong, perhaps not). ;-)

That doesn't mean that you won't be able to get your photos from them (other manufacturers have developed readers for this media).

In fact, readers supporting Sony Memory Stick Media are more popular than readers supporting xD Picturecard media (used by Fuji and Olympus).

Quote:
The second question I have is should I be looking into the purchase of a Memory Card Reader for my computer.

As for a card reader, there are many to choose from. I'd make sure to get a newer USB 2.0 reader, and make sure it supportsMemory Stick Pro. In fact, I'd strongly suggest buying one that supports multiple card formats -- just in case you have a need for other media types later.

Personally, I'd stick to one of the major manufacturers of readers (for example, Lexar or Sandisk). But, there are many others available that would probably work just as well.

We do have some Card Reader Reviews here that you may want to read. However, some of these readers have probably been replaced by newer versions (supporting even more card types).

Old Apr 20, 2005, 4:47 PM   #8
Administrator

Geckoman wrote:
Quote:
From my limited knowledge of these things I went on to Best Buy and compared a 128mb SD media to a 128mb Mem Stick. It appears to be about a $9 difference? $30 for the SD and $39 for the Mem Stick. That's not all that much is it?
Prices are becoming more competitive now with Memory Stick media. Originally, only Sony manufacturered it (and there was a much greater price difference compared to other media types).

Then, they licensed the technology to others like Sandisk and Lexar. So, you now have more choices.

As a result, it's becoming more competitive.

One thing that does concern many users is migrating from a camera that uses another media type (since they can't use the media they've already purchased).

From my perspective, media prices are dropping rapidly. So, any investment you made in previous media types is not really as valid of an argument now (since replacement media in larger sizes would cost much less given current technology advances).

Also,if you don't already have an investment in media, then it's not as big of a concern.

Another concern is that a user may want to upgrade to a DSLR model later (and none support the Memory Stick format yet).

Some users may have more than one camera model, too (perhaps a smaller camera that's easier to carry, and a larger DSLR model for when shootingrequirements warrant using one).

So, they would prefer it ifthey could share the media between cameras.

Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:01 PM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Geckoman wrote:
Quote:
Prices are becoming more competitive now with Memory Stick media. Originally, only Sony manufacturered it (and there was a much greater price difference compared to other media types).

Then, they licensed the technology to others like Sandisk and Lexar. So, you now have more choices.

As a result, it's becoming more competitive.

One thing that does concern many users is migrating from a camera that uses another media type (since they can't use the media they've already purchased).

From my perspective, media prices are dropping rapidly. So, any investment you made in previous media types is not really as valid of an argument now (since replacement media in larger sizes would cost much less given current technology advances).

Also,if you don't already have an investment in media, then it's not as big of a concern.

Another concern is that a user may want to upgrade to a DSLR model later (and none support the Memory Stick format yet).

Some users may have more than one camera model, too (perhaps a smaller camera that's easier to carry, and a larger DSLR model for when shootingrequirements warrant using one).

So, they would prefer it ifthey could share the media between cameras.

Damn that Sony

I agonize too much over these little details. I read too many good things about the Sony P200 to turn away now. In fact I haven't read a bad review yet! I am gonna take the plunge.

Thanks for the responses!
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:18 PM   #10
Administrator

Personally, I don't worry about it too much.

Right now, I've got a collection of 3 different media types (Memory Stick, Secure Digital and CompactFlash). LOL

Heck, I got a heck of a bargain recently at a yard sale.

Someone hada fewCompactFlash cards sitting on a bookshelf. I asked how much. They said 5 dollars for all 3 cards (including a 256mb and 128mb Lexar CompactFlash Card -- although the 256mb was only a 4x card).

Did I need them? Nah... The only camera I'd even want to use these old slow cards in now would be a Nikon Coolpix 950 I use from time to time for macro shots.

I can remember paying a lot of money for cards of this size a few years back. Now, you can buy 1GB cardsfor under $100.00 brand new.

Again, I wouldn't sweat the media type too much if buying a new camera (even though I've already got some cards). From my perspective, by the time you get ready to upgrade, you'll probably want newer, larger, faster mediaanyway (and media prices should continue to drop).