Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 1, 2005, 1:01 PM   #11
Administrator

jdk wrote:
Quote:
Hi I am new to this site. I have a Toshiba PDR 3330 camera. I have been usinga 32 MB SD Cardwith this camera. I recently purchased a 512 SD Ultra card. I cannot get it to work in my camera. It says " This Card Cannot Be Used" I'd like to know if the 512 is too large for this camera?Or am I doing something wrong? Has anyone used this cardwith a Toshiba 3330camera before? I do not have enough expertise to know.:?Any help is appreciated. Thanks...Karen
Well, looking at the camera's specifications at the time the review of it was published here, it supported Secure Digital in sizes through 256mb. But, at the time of the review, larger sizes may not have been available.

It could be that the card is just simply not compatible, or it could be because of it's size.

If I were you, I'd see if upgrading the camera's firmware may solve it first. I don't know what was changed in newer firmware versions, but often times you'll see card compatibility issues addressed. You can download firmware (which is like the camera's internal operating system) here:

http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/isd_s...0upgrade.shtml

Again, this may not solve it. But, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably give it a try to see.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 1:10 PM   #12
Administrator

gag wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I went to the manufacturer's page and saw that they sell Super Digital and Secure Digital cards. I asked why Super Digital when SD stands for Secure Digital. The answer from suport department was: "These both are the same except the name!"

Very raw answer, but why this label for a memory card with a specification to follow? I don't know, but in fact, the memory is working on my camera.

Does anyone know anything about See Electronics Inc.?
(http://www.seeelectronics.com)
Interesting is that there is a clone website for that: http://www.supertalentflash.com

Thank you for your attention!
[]'s
George.
George:

I've never heard of them, and generally don't buy products unless others have good experiences with them. From reading the description of these "Super Digital" Cards, they are not Secure Digital. They're "enhanced multimedia" cards. MMC has the same physical dimensions as SD, but there are differences. Most models that support one memory type also support the other.

But, personally, I'd stick to better known products before risking my images (since problems with media do occur).

Old May 3, 2005, 1:16 AM   #13

I think Kingmax have a great performance /price ratio. You can get them for great prices on ebay.

If you lower the jpeg quality of your pictures, you should be able to get 15-20 pics on that 16mb card. Lower the size and you'll get ~30-40
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 12:11 AM   #14

Besides the size, should we concern about the speed when deciding which SD to buy?

I plan to buy Casio Z750, and not sure which SD (what speed/size) to buy.
reclus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 9:27 AM   #15
Administrator

reclus wrote:
Quote:
Besides the size, should we concern about the speed when deciding which SD to buy?

I plan to buy Casio Z750, and not sure which SD (what speed/size) to buy.
I have not seen any comparisons of different card types with the Z750. However, prices have come down considerably on faster media lately. So, I'd be inclined to go with a 60-66x card (even if the camera's interface to media isn't fast enough to take advantage of this speed).

Note that even faster (approx. 133x) SD cards are shippnig now (for example, the Sandisk Extreme III and Panasonic Pro series cards), but it's extremely unlikely that you'll see any benefit from a card this fast. Of course, if the price is about the same, I'd go with the faster cards.

Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:30 PM   #16

How about Transcend 80X and 150X SD Card from www.meritline.com

www.meritline.com/securedigitalsdcards.html
leafalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 3:22 AM   #17

I am planning to buy a 2 GB SD card for my upcoming Z750

Should I buy Sandisk ultra 2, or can you warmly recommend some other brands ?

There seems to be two variants of that 2 GB Sandisk Ultra 2 SD card:

SDSDH-2048-901 Sandisk Secure Digital ULTRA II 2GB

SDSDH-2048-902 Sandisk Secure Digital ULTRA II 2 GB NS

anybody know the difference ?
blues434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 4:47 AM   #18

In answer to the original ? of this thread I've been using a SanDisk 512MB SD card for several months now and it has been just fine in my kodak 7590.

MikeS.

MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 6:17 PM   #19

There is no "best", at least not so any of us would notice.It's sort of like asking which paper is best in your photocopier. As long as your card has fast enough write speed to match or exceed the camera's internal capacity to send data to the card, you'll be fine.

However, I have seen threads here and on another forum wheremembers havedescribed a particular brand of card that may be incompatible with a particular camera brand or model. One example that comes to mind is Lexar and Canon.

But 99.9 % of the time, you'll be fine. That means your choice will likely boil down to the best value for a particular capacity.

pmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote