Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:28 AM   #1

Hi, I'm new to this board but I use the site really often.

I recently aquired a Canon Powershot A510 after I read the review on this site. It's my first digital cam and I'm not nor intend to be a pro.

Anyway, it comes with a 16MB... I can shoot only 7 pics... and I want to upgrade it to a 512MB. 1GB doesn't fit my budget.

I'm searching for it but I don't know which brand to buy. I'm afraid to get a bad one... Could you help me out?

I see Kingston, SanDisk, Lexar and Dane-Elec. Which one is the best? I need something reliable with a good cost benefit. I was thinking of spending around 50 dollars.

Also, on my case, does it make much of a difference to get the SanDisk Ultra II instead of the ordinary one?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Marcos
Bridge of Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:14 PM   #2

Any of the brands you mentioned would be fine. It is very rare for a CF card to malfuntion as it's solid state. If it's a bad copy you will know it right away. You say your budget is $50.....for $70 or so you can get a 1gig card. Just watch the adds at www.newegg.com for an example.

I don't know at what resolution your digicam shoots, whether or not it has RAW capability etc. I have a Canon dSLR and I shoot RAW plus large JPEG and I can get about 75 images per gig. I normally carry two 2gig cards and two 1gig cards but that's just me.

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:25 PM   #3

Thanks mate!

My Canon shoots at 3.2 megapixels.

A 1GB would be even nicer, if my friend finds it for this range.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:33 PM   #4

anyone else to give an opinion?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:53 PM   #5

I've used Sandisk SD cards(a 256+512) for quite awhile with no problems.A 512 sandisk sd is 37.50 right now at www.dell.com notsure where you are so don't know about shipping+tax

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 4:08 PM   #6

Doooooh:? I just realized the original poster is asking about SD cards and I'm talking about CF cards.

My bad:G

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 5:30 AM   #7

Ive got the Sandisk Ultra 2 512mb, very happy with it.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 1:21 PM   #8

I use a standard Sandisk 512Mb SD card that I got from Staples for approx. $25 after rebate and it works great in my Canon SD200, especially continuous shots and fast frame movie mode. On the other hand, the 512mb from Dane-Elec is much slower and can only handle 10 continuous shots before pausing to write, and can only record < 20 seconds of fast frame video. For the money I'd recommend the standard Sandisk.
dchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:52 PM   #9
jdk

Hi I am new to this site. I have a Toshiba PDR 3330 camera. I have been usinga 32 MB SD Cardwith this camera. I recently purchased a 512 SD Ultra card. I cannot get it to work in my camera. It says " This Card Cannot Be Used" I'd like to know if the 512 is too large for this camera?Or am I doing something wrong? Has anyone used this cardwith a Toshiba 3330camera before? I do not have enough expertise to know.:?Any help is appreciated. Thanks...Karen
jdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 10:12 AM   #10
gag

I've purchased a CF for mistake, when my camera suports only SD. So I found a person who wants to exchange with no coasts, then I gave my Viking 512mb CF and received a SeeElectronics 512mb Super Digital. Super Digital? Yes, I went to the manufacturer's page and saw that they sell Super Digital and Secure Digital cards. I asked why Super Digital when SD stands for Secure Digital. The answer from suport department was: "These both are the same except the name!"

Very raw answer, but why this label for a memory card with a specification to follow? I don't know, but in fact, the memory is working on my camera.

Does anyone know anything about See Electronics Inc.?
(http://www.seeelectronics.com)
Interesting is that there is a clone website for that: http://www.supertalentflash.com

Thank you for your attention!
[]'s
George.
gag is offline   Reply With Quote