Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 19, 2002, 11:56 AM   #1

Default blurry pics

When I take pictures with my digital camera if the people are moving they are blurry. Is this the storage card or the flash. can you get something or do something that will keep them from being blurry. I take lots of pics at ballgames but the people running are blurred. Any help will be appreciated.
imthepreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2002, 12:34 PM   #2

I suspect that your problem is twofold:
1. You have shutter lag. This is the time between the pressing of the shutter button and the camera autofocuses to take the picture. You can reduce shutter lag by pressing the shutter button hald way, let the camera autofocus ( usually indicated by a green light in the viewfinder or a chirp from the camera) and then press the button.
2. You need to track moving objects with the camera. I learn to practice both these skills by taking pictures of moving cars. It is best to take the picture at about 15 degrees off the center of you. You can the picture before or after it passes you.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 1:18 PM   #3

Blurry pictures have nothing to do with the memory.

The simplest way to avoid most blurry pictures is to use a higher shutter speed, if possible. Take a look at the EXIF data for the pictures with blurry people to see what shutter speed, aperture (f/stop), and ISO was used. If you can open the aperture (smaller f/number) and/or raise the ISO, that will allow a higher shutter speed. Doing that will make focus more critical (f/stop) and increase noise (ISO), but that is the trade-off for less motion blur.

More difficult is panning as gibsonpd3620 noted. I've never been any good at doing that, but I know some people can make it work.

A flash (light - not memory) will also freeze motion, but it is not effective at the distances in a ball park.

All of the above assumes that the people/things in motion are blurry and the background is not. If everything is blurry, the most likely problem is shake (shake is any unintentional motion of the camera while the shutter is open.) Shake becomes more of a problem with more "zoom". The rule of thumb for hand-held shooting is that your shutter speed should be at least 1/focal-length. As an example, with a 300mm (equiv) focal length, you should be shooting at 1/300th sec or shorter. Again, look at your EXIF data.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 4:17 PM   #4

Default Re: blurry pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthepreacher
When I take pictures with my digital camera if the people are moving they are blurry. Is this the storage card or the flash. can you get something or do something that will keep them from being blurry. I take lots of pics at ballgames but the people running are blurred. Any help will be appreciated.
You need a higher shutter speed. If you are using a nong zoom, some sort of tripod or monopod might help.

Panning would work for cars, as the entire vehicle moves at the same speed. For a baseball player, arms and legs can be moving at speeds different from the body itself. If you pan, the body may be sharp, but don't be surprised if the arms and legs show motion blur. It could be a neat effect, but if you want it all to be like a sharp "freeze frame", you'll need the higher shutter speed.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote