Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 20, 2002, 2:00 AM   #1

Default Coolpix 2500/3500 and CF cards

Hi, does anyone who own a Coolpix 2500/3500 have any recommendations on a particular brand of CF card? I have a Viking 128 right now on a 3500 and it's okay, not really all that fast. I know Nikon recommends Lexar and SanDisk, but that's gotta be just a recommendation right? Thanks for any help.
Sifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2002, 11:19 AM   #2
Administrator

Go look on eBay, there are number of people selling the Ridata CF cards. These are as fast as 16x-24x Lexar cards and much less expensive. I have several of the 512MB cards here and have used them in every camera we have reviewed in the last year that uses CF cards - no problems.

http://listings.ebay.com/pool2/listi...x.html?from=R0

I have bought quite a few cards from a seller with the eBay ID of yourpchero, he is an excellent guy to do business with.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 9:48 PM   #3

I use Lexar 16 mb, Sandisk 128 mb and PNY 128 mb and they all seem good to me, I find the larger cards like 128 mb take a little longer between shots.
I am still learning the camera so I can't offer more help, I have to keep the book by my side,.
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 4:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Go look on eBay, there are number of people selling the Ridata CF cards. These are as fast as 16x-24x Lexar cards and much less expensive. I have several of the 512MB cards here and have used them in every camera we have reviewed in the last year that uses CF cards - no problems.

http://listings.ebay.com/pool2/listi...x.html?from=R0

I have bought quite a few cards from a seller with the eBay ID of yourpchero, he is an excellent guy to do business with.

-Steve
ok Steve....
you've peeked my curiosity and quite possiblly may have solved my quest for the cf that's fast and cheap.

my question is, will the CP5700 be able to handle the blazing +20x speed of the RIDATAs? any shortcomings?
tnx....
Old Jan 2, 2003, 11:36 PM   #5

Steve,

Another twist on the same question. Do you know if any of the lower end digitals: Canon S200, Nikon 3500, etc are able to take advantage of a card faster than 4x? ie. is it worth purchasing a Sandisk Ultra over a Sandisk or a Lexar 4x?

(I use Ridatas and Sandisk Ultras in my 1D and G2 and did comparison tests against the super slow Sandisk. The first two blew the doors of the latter, which I promptly returned.)

I've asked in two stores and have...you guessed it...two different answers.

I'm trying to help a friend out and they currently have 128 MB Lexar 4x on sale for $49.99 at CompUSA. I don't have a 4x to compare in his camera. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Carl
cbfount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 2:55 PM   #6

:?: I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this question. I purchased that Lexar 4x card at Compusa. As a newbie, I didn't even notice that it was a 4x. Will my CP 4300 be faster with a 16x or 20x? If anyone has any experience with this, I (we) would appreciate it.

TIA,

Tom
Tom Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 3:05 PM   #7

I just found the answer to my question and the ones posted above mine.

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...805&highlight=

As usual, almost every question that I come up with has been asked and answered on this forum, usually more than once.

Tom
Tom Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 5:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Benson
I use Lexar 16 mb, Sandisk 128 mb and PNY 128 mb and they all seem good to me, I find the larger cards like 128 mb take a little longer between shots.
I am still learning the camera so I can't offer more help, I have to keep the book by my side,.
Bill
I just bought a CoolPix 3500 for my entry into digital photography. So far after playing with it for a few days it seems more than capable of meeting my current needs and it will still be extremely useful to have around even after I upgrade into a more advanced camera in a year or 2. The way technology advances I can only imagine what might be available in the next couple of years in the sub $400 price range.

On my shopping list is, of course, first a higher capacity cf card and second a battery. I am considering a 128MB card but I am wondering how much of a slow down results the 3500 with a 128MB over a 64MB.

From what I have read, the 64MB versions suffer no noticeable increase in speed between shots and some find the 64MB a bit easier because they do not have to deal with loading and editing as many pictures at a time. I would probably not fill up a 128MB card very often, if ever, but I think I would like to buy a 128MB as my first additional CF if it does not slow down the camera very much just to have the greater capacity without relying on carrying around an additional card with me. Any opinions on how much of a slowdown exists between 16 to 64MB cf and a 128MB cf when used in a 3500 would be greatly appreciated.
flylow is offline   Reply With Quote