Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 7, 2005, 10:54 AM   #1

I have noticed big price differences with memory cards.

$350.00 For a 1gig

$240.00 for a 512 Dan o lectric I was told thats the best manufacturer

I wonder? Anyone know about this?

mannalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2005, 10:37 PM   #2

A quick look on Amazon, and 1 gb Sandisk Ultra cards are $90 odd, and the 512 is $50, so I hope the prices you're quoting are in Hong Kong dollars, as they are otherwise off the planet.....

Quote:
Dan o lectric I was told thats the best manufacturer
Eek....never heard of them, so I doubt that they are the best anything.
jb0767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 4:35 AM   #3

you're getting taken for a ride. If you go to Rob Galbraith's site, he has a chart on how different memory cards perform. Sandisk and Lexar are at the top.

for my d70 i'm only buying sandisk and lexar, maybe even kingston's SLC version. I currently use the Sandisk Ultra II 1GB. You can get em on eBay from this guy for 78 bucks a pop and he's legit.
chrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 6:30 AM   #4
Administrator

Make sure to check out any vendor you consider with http://www.resellerratings.com

It sound like you're paying way too much for memory cards (unless you're quoting non-U.S. dollars). Some unscrupulous vendors advertise low prices on cameras, and then sock it to you on the accessories. So, be careful where you shop

Many reputable vendors havefast1GB CompactFlash Cards for under $100.00 now. Seevendors like B&H on this page:

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-SanDis..._Card~S-P~OR-0

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 10:34 PM   #5

Royal Camera And A&M They give you a good price on the camera then stick it to you on the Memory cards and batteries and charger. Great place to buy the Camera and lens. But DO NOT Buy anything else!
Old May 9, 2005, 8:07 AM   #6
Administrator

mannalive wrote:
Quote:
Royal Camera And A&M They give you a good price on the camera then stick it to you on the Memory cards and batteries and charger. Great place to buy the Camera and lens. But DO NOT Buy anything else!
Great place to buy the camera and lens, huh? You don't actually believe you can buy justa camera for the prices advertised?!?. ROFL :-)

I'll let you in on a little secret. You can't really buy new,US Warrantied(Manufacturer Warrantied, not some worthless store warranty) cameras at the unrealistically low prices you see advertised fromsome of the dealers located in Brooklyn, unless you have other outrageously priced items tacked on. For some reason, they seem to be able to get away more there.

There will be a catch,since the prices are too low (for example, very high, unauthorized shipping and insurance tacked on, items missing, a non-U.S. camera that the manufacturer won't service, etc.); or you just won't ever receive your order. Of course, if you get an order with items missing and decide to return it, watch out for the restocking fees (and some dealeras may also try to keep the high, unauthorized shipping charges if you dispute with your credit card company).

Do yourself a favor and buy from a reputable vendor.This is especially important with Nikon gear, since Nikon USA will refuse to service a camera that was not intended for sale in the U.S., even if you are willing to pay them for service.This is done to discourage grey market imports (and I've seen lots of grey market Nikongear advertised from dealers inBrooklyn).

You don't really believe some internet dealer in Brooklyn negotiates better prices with Nikon USA compared to larger dealers (and distributors that dealers buy from), do you? ;-)

Read the reviews for dealers you consider at http://www.resellerratings.com. You'll see them at the bottom of the ratings page:

Royal Camera:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1895.html

A&M:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1988.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 7:13 AM   #7

Royal Camera & , A&M. Great place to buy Camera bodies & Lenses! But, don't buy anything else. That is where they get ya! When you buy the camera they tell you you need a battery then a battery charger, memory disks. Then the unknowing purchaser may buy these items from themNot knowing what they are really worth.

Just a warning to potential buyers of cameras.