Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 8, 2005, 6:24 PM   #1

According to the specs, you can only use 16-512MB xD cards in the Fujifilm Finepix S5100 digital camera. Is this b/c in 9/24/04 only 512MBs was available? Does anyone know if the xD cards are all basically compatible with each other w/o a file size limitation?

I ordered the camera the other day, so I would really like to know if I can buy a 1GB card or not! Thanks people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DanmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2005, 11:46 AM   #2

Anybody??
Old May 10, 2005, 2:31 PM   #3

Send Fuji an email and ask them.

A 512 gb card is pretty big anyway for a 4 meg digicam.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 4:38 PM   #4

Ummm...thanks I guess...kinda defeats the purpose of a discussion forum...

I found the answer from someone else anyway. And 512MB is not as big if you are taking CCD-RAW files.
Old May 12, 2005, 7:23 AM   #5

Thanks for sharing the answer with everyone.
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 10:16 AM   #6
Administrator

DanmanX wrote:
Quote:

I found the answer from someone else anyway. And 512MB is not as big if you are taking CCD-RAW files.

I think you'll find that the 1GB xD cards are so new and so rediculously high priced that not many (if any) folks have them yet. Lower capacity xD cards will probably be a better buy pricewise as they have dropped down in price to be more in line with the other types of popular memory cards.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 7:18 PM   #7

steve wrote:
Quote:
DanmanX wrote:
Quote:

I think you'll find that the 1GB xD cards are so new and so rediculously high priced that not many (if any) folks have them yet. Lower capacity xD cards will probably be a better buy pricewise as they have dropped down in price to be more in line with the other types of popular memory cards.
Actually Outpost.com has 1GB xD Olympus xD cards for $79.99 and I just paid $94.99 a week ago from them so I'm trying to get a price protection refund for the difference.

My S5100 handles the new 1GB xD M-type card easily with no speed difference (compared to the included 16MB) and movies record perfectly. Some have complained ofstutteringvideo and sound so it's not a certainty. My serial # is 43A82xxx. If your camera is 82xxx or newer, I think it should work ok.

here's the link:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13354918
rm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 9:50 PM   #8

The 512's should get you around 100 shots per card in RAW format. I prefer using multiple cards anyway. Less chance of lost pictures and you can batch shots with different cards. I may take a look at the 1Gb cards when the prices come down but the bottom is droping on the 256 and 512's as we speak.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 3:28 PM   #9

Looks like the 1GB's are a bargain compared to 2 512's.

Price watch shows the normal price of $95-$99.
Stopped by BestBuy and they had the Fuji 1GB for $100.
The 512 was $65-$75
Fwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 7:15 PM   #10

I have to agree with Ken, that multiple cards are the way to go. I would rather have two 512 MB's than one 1 GB. I've not had an xD card fail on me, but there's always a first time. Imagine being at Disney World and your 1 GB card fails just as the kids are getting on the flying Dumbo ride, and you don't have another card - your done! Of course, you could probably pick one up there for about $1,000.00 (LOL).

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote