Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 19, 2005, 9:50 AM   #11

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Are you sure it's giving you errors with a 32mb card, too?

That's the reason I didn't think it was firmware (more than one card).
Hi JimC,

I've mentioned in my first and thrid post about testing with 2 different memory cards. Both the cards gave me the error.

Sorry if I'm not clear.

So can I go ahead with firmware update? What do you suggest now?

Thank you for your help.
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 10:19 AM   #12
Administrator

Your best bet is probably to send it back to Canon for repair.

If it were mine, I'd try the firmware upgrade, just for the heck of it.

But, be advised that if an error occurs during the firmware installation process, you are probably going to have a dead camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 10:27 AM   #13

JimC wrote:
Quote:

But, be advised that if an error occurs during the firmware installation process, you are probably going to have a dead camera.
Ok. I got you. Just to look into the worst part... if in case I get a dead camera, is it reparable by Canon?
Old May 19, 2005, 11:08 AM   #14
Administrator

Glass wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:

Ok. I got you. Just to look into the worst part... if in case I get a dead camera, is it reparable by Canon?
Yes, it would be repairable (but I don't know if they'd try to charge you for it or not). From time to time, I have seen some camera owners complain about being charged for a failure during a firmware install (probably assuming that the user didn't follow instructions).

I don't know how Canon handles ifa camera dies because the firmware install has problems. I've read in the past that some models requiremanufacturers to replace the EEPROM when a failure occurs (since the camera would have no way to update this EEPROM with new firmware again if the install fails in a way that the camera becomes dead).

Is it under Warranty? If so, you may just want to send it to Canon along with a very good description of what is happening (although you may want to leave out the part about the problems starting near the beach).

Have you talked to their Customer Service folks yet?

If it were mine, I'd consider risking new firmware (although that doesn't sound like the problem to me if it's giving you errors with different size memory cards, includingthe 32mb card). But, you'll have to make that decision.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 5:33 AM   #15

Oh! Thanks for your reply. I'm planning to take that risk. Anyway, I'm waiting for some reply from Canon. Also I'll phone the customer care and inquire about this before doing it.

My warranty period is towards the deadline. Moreover there is no canon service center here in this contry that I stay now.
Old May 20, 2005, 11:39 AM   #16

JimC wrote:

Have you talked to their Customer Service folks yet?

[/quote]

I got a reply from Canon Customer Service today. They suggested me to update the firmware, and if this didn't fix the error, send the camera to Canon for inspection. Also they didn't mention about any risk involved in updating (as I'm having this error). So I'm going to update it this week end...
Old May 23, 2005, 5:47 AM   #17

SUCCESSFUL!!!!

DID MY FIRWARE UPDATE 1.0.2.0 FOR S1 OVER THE WEEK END. IT FIXED ALL MY ERRORS. NO MORE MEMORY CARD ERROR MESSAGE. SHOWING THE PROPER MEMORY SIZE FOR BOTH 4GB AND 32MB CARDS. I'M GLAD NOW.

AND MANY THANKS TO JIMC & SKI098 FOR HELPING ME OUT. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR INPUTS.