Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 12, 2005, 3:43 AM   #1

Took the camera near to the beach. After that it started giving me this message: MEMORY CARD ERROR!. Came back home and tried a different CF card. Still giving me the same error. So concluded that it's nothing to do with the memory card. Something wrong with the camera? Any suggestions/solution to this problem? I don't have any Canon service where I stay. Any reason what is the cause to this?
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2005, 10:01 AM   #2

I thought I'll get some kind of help from this forum.

By the way my camera is Canon S1. Anyone having similar problem? I hope there are other S1 users here in this forum. Any help will be appreciated.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:37 AM   #3
Administrator

Try cleaning the battery contacts (wipe them on clean cloth, even if they look clean) to make sure they don't have a touch of oxidation built up on them. Then, top them off again to make sure they're fully charged.

I've seen more than one case of memory card errors incameras that turned out to be battery related.

Also, make sure you didn't bend any pins in the CompactFlash Card slot.

You may also want to try using all switches, buttons, etc., to make sure you don't have some oxidation under a contact causing problems somewhere. A beach environment can lead to problems with electronics.

Have you tried formatting the cards via the camera menus (Setup, Format)? If not, I'd try that as a first step.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 1:51 AM   #4

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Try cleaning the battery contacts (wipe them on clean cloth, even if they look clean) to make sure they don't have a touch of oxidation built up on them. Then, top them off again to make sure they're fully charged.

I've seen more than one case of memory card errors in cameras that turned out to be battery related.

Also, make sure you didn't bend any pins in the CompactFlash Card slot.

You may also want to try using all switches, buttons, etc., to make sure you don't have some oxidation under a contact causing problems somewhere. A beach environment can lead to problems with electronics.

Have you tried formatting the cards via the camera menus (Setup, Format)? If not, I'd try that as a first step.

Thank you Jim for your reply. I did format both the cards in the camera. Didn't help. But I didn't try anything else that you suggested. I will let you know the result soon.

Whenever I take pictures it overwrites the existing picture in the card. Sometimes it gives me memory card error. When I switch off and swich on again, it says "No Image".

I'm using a 4GB card. When I check the memory status, it says 750MB used. I formated it. Then shows me 4GB free space. Switch off and ON. It says 750MB used.

Another funny thing is I replaced the 4GB with my 32MB CF card. Now it says 4GB free space. Formated it. Again it says 4GB free space. Switch off and ON. 750MB used (from 32MB???).

Now it has become worst. I can take only 1 picture now. Soon it gives me "Memory card error!"

Thanks again.
Old May 17, 2005, 1:43 PM   #5

You may also want to check and see if there are any rom flash upgrades for your camera.
Ski098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 1:50 PM   #6
Administrator

Ski098 wrote:
Quote:
You may also want to check and see if there are any rom flash upgrades for your camera.
There is a firmware upgrade available (depending on what his camera shipped with):

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss1is/firmware-e.html

But, I sure wouldn't try to install it with the memory errors he's getting. He may end up with a totally dead camera if errors occur when the camera's reading the firmware files during the update.

I don't doubt that Canon may have improved CF compability with newer firmware.

But, when he's getting the same type of behavior using the 32mb CF card that shipped with the camera, this tells me that something else must be wrong.

My gut feeling is some oxidation/corrosion is the problem from the beach environment. Hopefully, it's something simple (like battery contacts), and no components have shorted/failed.

If checking the obvious things doesn't solve it (battery fully charged, contacts cleaned, etc.), then it will probably need a trip to Canon for repair.

Old May 19, 2005, 4:15 AM   #7

Ski098 wrote:
Quote:
I too thought about upgrading the firmware to 1.0.2.0.

But JimC pointed out that it might damage the whole thing.
Old May 19, 2005, 4:26 AM   #8

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Ski098 wrote:
Quote:
There is a firmware upgrade available (depending on what his camera shipped with):

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss1is/firmware-e.html

But, I sure wouldn't try to install it with the memory errors he's getting. He may end up with a totally dead camera if errors occur when the camera's reading the firmware files during the update.

I don't doubt that Canon may have improved CF compability with newer firmware.

But, when he's getting the same type of behavior using the 32mb CF card that shipped with the camera, this tells me that something else must be wrong.

My gut feeling is some oxidation/corrosion is the problem from the beach environment. Hopefully, it's something simple (like battery contacts), and no components have shorted/failed.

If checking the obvious things doesn't solve it (battery fully charged, contacts cleaned, etc.), then it will probably need a trip to Canon for repair.

I cleaned the battery contacts, fully charged it, checked for bend pins etc. Still giving me the same problem. Now I know what it exactly does.

This is what I finally found out :

- Before switching ON the camera, if I eject CF card and put it back again, it works fine. Shows 32MB (correct) instead of 4GB, can preview images in the card etc :? .

- The moment I switch off and ON the camera (without ejecting CF and back in again), it give me all these error.

This is just a work around that I found. But it's a big pain to do it everytime

So with this problem, can I upgrade the firmware. Will it affect the whole software OR is it a minor issue that'll dissapear with firmware update?
Old May 19, 2005, 5:01 AM   #9

JimC,

I was reading more in the link your posted. Here is what I found for the reason to update firmware 1.0.2.0. This is what the site says...

---------------------------------------------------
What has been improved in version 1.0.2.0 of the firmware?
[ PowerShot S1 IS ]
In extremely rare cases, the following problems could occur with this camera, but these have been fixed.
Camera Issues

* Incorrect information about the capacity of the CF card or the number of images it could store was displayed.
* Messages indicating that the card was malfunctioning or that there were no images on it were displayed, and it became impossible to take new images or play back the recorded images.
* Images that had already been recorded would be overwritten with newly taken images.

Computer Issues

* Images taken with the camera could not be played back.

If these issues have occurred with your camera/CF card, please reformat the card after updating the camera's firmware.
--------------------------------------------------------

So, what do you say now. Can I go ahead. After reading the above note, I found out my camera doing the same thing. Isn't it? What do you suggest about upgrading to new firmware. Awaiting your reply.

Thanks again.
Old May 19, 2005, 6:55 AM   #10
Administrator

Are you sure it's giving you errors with a 32mb card, too?

That's the reason I didn't think it was firmware (more than one card).