Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 27, 2002, 8:42 PM   #1

Default CF Care and Feeding?

I was wondering if there was a better/worse usage pattern for CF. When and how often do people low level format? How often to people format in their cameras? Do you do it instead of deleting? I know next to nothing about CF, so any info is probably new info to me!

What about with a MicroDrive? I read the stuff on Rob Galbraith's page about the troubles with the early 1G MicroDrive's, and many (but not all) the Pros he talked to didn't delete things off the drive, but instead reformatted them. Is this just a MicroDrive thing, or should it be done with CF too?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2002, 9:57 AM   #2

You can easily format your cf card. No problems there. I do it all the time. They built for it. Remember that a CF card is NOT a harddrive, its pure electronic hardware.
I dont know anything about Microdrive other than they'll eat up your power!!!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 10:48 AM   #3

Sure, formatting doesn't hurt the card. I wasn't trying to imply that. I just wondered if there were better/worse patterns of use.

I see posts here on occasion talking about CF cards being unusable after putting them in someone elses camera and then putting it back in their own. Or that they format the CF in the camera, not on their computer.

I was thinking alone those lines.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 11:21 AM   #4

sorry. I have only once formattet my CF in my Coolpix, shot some pics and then put it in an Canon Ixus and shot some there. NO problem there. The Ixus made a folder of its own and the pics was created into that folder.
That's my only experience with switching cards! Maye it's different with other digicam - I dont know.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote