Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:33 PM   #11

Jim,

Want to thank you soo much. I would shake your handifI could reach through this monitor. I'll check outthe Digital Image Recovery site first before I go and purchase the expert version. WillI be able to save the picture using the Digital Image Recovery program? NowI see it's in German. Is the instruction in german too.
twigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:13 PM   #12
Administrator

twigs wrote:
Quote:
I'll check outthe Digital Image Recovery site first before I go and purchase the expert version. WillI be able to save the picture using the Digital Image Recovery program? NowI see it's in German. Is the instruction in german too.
You can select English as the language when you load it. It's a very simple program.

You will need to know the drive letter for your media (you'll need to pick the source drive letter for the card). You can find this information under "My Computer" by your card reader (Windows will assign a drive letter to it).

Then, select a folder on your PC to save the images to (you can browse for the correct destination folder). Leave everything else at defaults, then press the start button.

It will then search the card and save images it finds to the destination folder you chose on your PC. It will not retain the original filenames. It will default to image001.jpg, image002.jpg, etc. for the files it recovers and saves to your hard disk.

It may not work with all problems. But, it doesn't hurt to try it (you'd lose nothing but a bit of time, and it may save you $29). ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:16 PM   #13

Don't worry twigs, the forum is German, but the download and installation are in English. Language is selectable on running the program.

I can report that this free program works as well as the paid for versions. Make sure you try this one first, you may be pleasantly surprised'.

This will take you straight to the file download, http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2

Well done Jim 8).

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:18 PM   #14

Ok I'll give it a go.:-)
Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:35 PM   #15

Twigs, let us know how you get on with the file recovery and the salvation of your memory card.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:17 AM   #16

Well Gang I had success. You made one happy lady. She just got back from her trip to Oregon and had about 230 picture on the card before she got a CF error.

But with your help her trip ended well.

A deeply and Big Thanks to you all !!!

I will now format the card and she will be ready to shoot pictures again.

Enjoy your weekend !!!

And Thanks again !!!

Twigs
:-)

Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:37 AM   #17

Jim doesn't appear to be logged in at this moment, but i'm sure he'll be as happy as me that it worked out OK. Well done Jim and well done you.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 8:14 AM   #18
Administrator

Twigs:

I'm glad it worked out for you, too.

My apologies for all of the confusion (taking your time to download two different software packages to get to your files).

This is the first time in a while that I haven't recommended trying "Digital Image Recovery" as a first step. But, I've seen some recentcases where the commercial software was able to recover files,when the free software was not.

In the future, I'll go back to suggesting members try "Digital Image Recovery" first. Then, use the commercial software if it fails to recover their files.

Let us know if the card is working OK after a format (and I'd suggest reformatting using the camera's menus after formatting it as FAT with your PC).

Edit/Added

Stevekin:

Thanks, but you're going to give me a "big head" with all of this well done stuff. ;-)

I spend a *lot* of time on forums (probably too much, and I need to "get a life"). :-)

It keeps me occupied and I enjoy it. Others have helped me in the past, so I'm only trying to do the same thing for others. ;-) I see you doing the same thing, too (and I'm sure the forum members really appreciate your help). That's what's great about theforum community here. Everyone is willing to help each other.

Jim C.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 1:05 PM   #19

Well I try my best. I own three digital and take lots of picture. But this is the first time I ever had a card give me trouble.

Thanks again !!!!

Twigs
Old Jun 4, 2005, 5:07 PM   #20

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I see you doing the same thing, too (and I'm sure the forum members really appreciate your help).

Aw shucks, ya done made me blush an all :-).

I've had a heck of a lot of help since I joined, directly as well as reading posts, (and a lot of it from you), (there I go again :roll, and it is nice to be able to give it back. But I do try to only offer/suggest something if I have any idea about it. Hence the limited scope of topics I comment on :-).

Thanks,

Stevekin.