Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 1, 2005, 7:05 PM   #1

I have a PQI 1gb compact flash card that crapped out after minimal use for a year for my EOS Canon.

Need to get a new CF but not sure what brand is most reliable.

Any help would be thankful.
twigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:27 PM   #2
Administrator

Have you tried formatting the card? If not, I'd format it via the camera menus if possible.If you can't format it with the camera, you may want to try formatting it via a card reader, too (I'd use FAT as the file system type for a 1GB Card).

Popular CompactFlash cards in 1GB size are the Sandisk Ultra II, Sandisk Extreme III, and Lexar 80x. I don't know if one would be more reliable than another.

Depending on your camera model, you may not need cards this fast though (many cameras are bottlenecked at the interface to the media, so you get diminishing returns with faster cards in many cameras).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:45 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Have you tried formatting the card? If not, I'd format it via the camera menus if possible.If you can't format it with the camera, you may want to try formatting it via a card reader, too (I'd use FAT as the file system type for a 1GB Card).

Popular CompactFlash cards in 1GB size are the Sandisk Ultra II, Sandisk Extreme III, and Lexar 80x. I don't know if one would be more reliable than another.

Depending on your camera model, you may not need cards this fast though (many cameras are bottlenecked at the interface to the media, so you get diminishing returns with faster cards in many cameras).

If I format the CF willI lose the pic that are on it?
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:05 PM   #4
Administrator

twigs wrote:
Quote:
If you have photos on the card that you need access to, I'd try to recover them prior to formatting the card (although it is sometimes possible to recover images from a formatted card, since formatting usually only recreates the FAT, leaving the data in place).

This product is highly rated for recovering images:

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

Old Jun 2, 2005, 4:22 AM   #5

twigs wrote:
Quote:

If the card is 'crapped out' anyway, it is unlikely that you can recover anything from it as it is. Try Jim's recommendation first, to recover any of the files before formatting the card. If that fails, then try to format in camera first, then try to format using your computer via a card reader.

Formatting or deleting does not in fact delete any of your files from the card. Only the 'header', information telling whatever is trying to read the card that there are files there. So long as the files are not corrupted or have been written over by taking more photos, then whatever is on the card may be recoverable.

Another program to consider is ImageRecall 3, http://www.flashfixers.com/

You can download a trial which will tell you if your images are there and can be recovered, I've found it to work very well, then buy it if you think your images are worth saving.

The difference in reliability between the Sandisk and Lexar cards is minimal, either brand should serve you well. Personally, I use the Lexar 80x. Can't fault it.

Good luck.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 6:23 AM   #6

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
twigs wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
If the card is 'crapped out' anyway, it is unlikely that you can recover anything from it as it is. Try Jim's recommendation first, to recover any of the files before formatting the card. If that fails, then try to format in camera first, then try to format using your computer via a card reader.

Formatting or deleting does not in fact delete any of your files from the card. Only the 'header', information telling whatever is trying to read the card that there are files there. So long as the files are not corrupted or have been written over by taking more photos, then whatever is on the card may be recoverable.

Another program to consider is ImageRecall 3, http://www.flashfixers.com/

You can download a trial which will tell you if your images are there and can be recovered, I've found it to work very well, then buy it if you think your images are worth saving.

The difference in reliability between the Sandisk and Lexar cards is minimal, either brand should serve you well. Personally, I use the Lexar 80x. Can't fault it.

Good luck.

Stevekin.
Quote:
Thanks to all !!!!!
Quote:
I'll try it out.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:08 PM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
twigs wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you have photos on the card that you need access to, I'd try to recover them prior to formatting the card (although it is sometimes possible to recover images from a formatted card, since formatting usually only recreates the FAT, leaving the data in place).

This product is highly rated for recovering images:

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
Quote:
Can you tell me what the difference is between the Expert version and the Wizard version.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:24 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Can you tell me what the difference is between the Expert version and the Wizard version.
I can't. Somebody else may be able to. I haven't needed to use this application.

But, I have seen it work well for others, when some of the free software I'm familiar with failed to recover the files.

See this thread for links to the one I usually suggest members try first (since it's free):

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=52

But, the Photorescue product is much newer and more advanced (and I've seen users report thatit worked when "Digital Image Recovery" did not).

Since you're using a newer model camera (i.e., a Digital SLR since you mentioned Canon EOS), I suggested the commercial product first (since it's success rate is likely to be higher). The older free package I often mention does not support RAW files (.crw, .cr2) either (and the commercial product does).

You may want to give the free software a try first if you shoot JPEG versus RAW.

Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:15 PM   #9

I tried the datarescue demo and it worked great. But you have to purchase it to be able to save your pictures.

So when you go to purchase it for $29 it had the two versions. But they don't tell you the difference between them or unlessI just missed it.

Thanks really a lot for helping me. My wife was quite happy to see her pictures. NowI need to be able to save them.

Also you had mention formatting the card. Do I used FAT or FAT32 when doing it? Do you think it will bring the card back to life and I will be able to use it again in the Rebel EOS?
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:32 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
So when you go to purchase it for $29 it had the two versions. But they don't tell you the difference between them or unlessI just missed it.

I just checked out their site, and it appears that the Expert version has more features. Here is a page describing the differences:

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/technicalfaq.htm

It appears that you can still get the Expert Version for $29 (same price as the Wizard Version), but it says $39 soon (so they must be going to charge more for it in the future). So, if it were me, I'd go with the Expert Version.

Again, you may want to try the free "Digital Image Recovery" software, too.

It wouldn't hurt to try it to see if it can recover the images (since you're only reading from the card versus writing to it, it won't hurt anything to try it).

It's worked fine for recovering images from mediaused incameras I've owned when I've tested it (but it does not support RAW).

You'll see the download links to it here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=40709&forum_id=52

Quote:
Also you had mention formatting the card. Do I used FAT or FAT32 when doing it? Do you think it will bring the card back to life and I will be able to use it again in the Rebel EOS?

I'd use FAT for a 1GB Card (even though your model supports FAT32). FAT (which is really FAT16) is the way memory cards of this size ship from the manufacturers.

As for using it... Chances are, it was only a corrupted FAT and the card is fine. Try it and see. Corrupted File Allocations Tables can happen from time to time. If any writes don't complete to themedia properly, it can be corrupted.

This can happen when users cut and paste files from media if their card reader drivers areusing cached writes fromthe operating system (since when the PC deletes a file, it's writing to the media), or if a camera or reader is disconnected too soon, etc. Even power blurps (low batteries, etc.) could probably cause a corrupted FAT in the right conditions.

As a rule, I never write to my media with anything other than the camera (I don't delete files using a PC, etc.).

I've never had a corrupted card happen to me (and I've owned 7 Digital Cameras using a variety of media types over the years). But, I *always* format my memory cards before every use via a camera's menus. This insures that I always start out with a fresh File Allocation Table.

After formatting the card with your PC using FAT, I'd personallyformat again using the camera menus.

Of course, dead/bad cards happen from time to time, too. So, keep your fingers crossed. If it formats OK, you'll probably be fine with it.