Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 7, 2005, 4:15 AM   #1

Does anyone know of a collected resource that lists the write speed to card of variouscameras.

I can measure the improvement of my Rollei DR5100 (Ricoh Caplio GX) from a standard card to a Kingston 50x card but I don't know at what point I would be wasting my money (66x 133x) if the camera cannot write to the card any faster.

Terry1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2005, 3:25 PM   #2
Administrator

Terry1100 wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know of a collected resource that lists the write speed to card of variouscameras.

I can measure the improvement of my Rollei DR5100 (Ricoh Caplio GX) from a standard card to a Kingston 50x card but I don't know at what point I would be wasting my money (66x 133x) if the camera cannot write to the card any faster.

Sorry... I know of a site that maintainsCompactFlash Card read and write statistics for DSLR models, but that's all they test (and not all cards either).

Your best bet is to ask other users of this camera in the forums what speed difference they got with newer cards.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 4:59 PM   #3

I don't know if there are any cameras that can write 66x, but I can assure you the Ricoh in question does not. The advantage of an ultra fast card (66x +)is in transferring images to your computer faster. With a large 1-2 Gb card, you might appreciate the difference.
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 5:04 AM   #4

Riot,

Cheers, I'll stick where I am then - I've got a measured benefit and I only have the one card for this camera as it's my "carry around".

I'm less stressed about the Pentax (it has a suitable buffer, the Rollei does not) or when it's in my PC's card reader as I'm never in that much of a rush.

Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:42 PM   #5
RDH

Rob Galbraith's site maintains a CF performance database
but it's mosly "higher end" cameras (most if not all are
the Canon, Nikon, etc. DSLR class of camera). Still, it's
an interesting browse (as is the rest of his site):

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

-RDH
RDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:47 AM   #6

That's fascinating stuff (but hasn't he heard that Pentax make SLR cameras )

It doesn't change the fact that if we (by which I mean "I") are not as fussy about the read/write time in a PC, then the camera's ability to write to the card may be more significant than the card's speed (especially in compacts without large buffers) - and there is a point where buying a fastrer card is pointless (except to the profits of the card manufacturers).

It seems that empicicism remains the way to go - unless the camera makers publish there write speeds anywhere in the "small print"