Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 1, 2003, 9:07 PM   #1
q

Default reformatting smart media card?

I posted a problem with my smart media card earlier and got some wonderful responses, now I have two simple but dumb questions (I'm still learning).

1. If you have to reformat your card (FAT16) do you lose all of your photo images when you do this? My guess is that you do, but I'm ever hopeful that I won't.

2. If you just delete the bad areas of your card will the card begin working? I mean if you delete each image by hand using the digital camera. (I somehow saved a manipulated image from the computer to the card and now have problems).

I did try some free photo recovery software but can't recover the image I really wanted to save. I can however print it off my printer by putting the media card directly into it. Weird.

Thanks,

Cindy
q is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2003, 11:40 PM   #2

cindy,
on #1 yes you will loose. On #2 never have had that problem, but on the brighterside I have seen 128 SM cards for about $35.
Good luck,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 7:17 AM   #3

Cindy

I always format my card in the camera. Yes you lose anything on the card when you format.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 8:31 PM   #4

Is there any reason to [re]format a SM card more than once, i.e., after the initial format of the card when it is first put into service? Assuming, of course, that no problems like file corruption and the like have arisen.

Can we continually upload image files from the card (either direct from the camera to the PC or via a card reader) and erase the old image files and start the capture-upload cycle all over again?

Are there any drawbacks to reformatting the card after every upload cycle?

jeff
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 8:49 PM   #5

jawz
No reason to reformat more than once.

2. Understand that the cards have a life cycle like recharble batteries, but its a long life cycle.

3. Formating everytime is like reinstalling windows to fix problem, only cures bordom most of time.

Gary
Old Jan 3, 2003, 11:36 PM   #6

Interesting...

Maybe this is a D100 thing, or maybe it's a microdrive thing. I was reading on http://www.robgalbraith.com/ about the problems with early 1G microdrives (I might be given one....) He interviewed many professional journalists. Most of them followed the ritual of reformatting the drive instead of deleting things from the camera (i.e. download it all, reformat in the camera, start taking pictures.) Is that just because they are paranoid or because it's a drive and not flash, so the # of writes isn't a issue?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 11:48 PM   #7

Eric,
What OS are you running?
Gary
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:01 AM   #8

I'm using XP.

But I'm not sure how that matters for my question. I'm more interested in good usage patterns for CF and microdrives. Is the believe that formatting from the camera on a regular basis prevents problems? That is the only logic which comes to my mind. Is there any basis in fact in this? I'm new to Digital cameras and want to start out with good habits.

I've read warnings about trouble when using the same CF in different devices, or formatting in one device (for example, an MP3 player) and then putting it back to the camera.

That is really the type of warnings I'm looking for.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote