Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 16, 2005, 2:01 PM   #11
Administrator

While I'm digging, try this utility, too (it's got a trial version you can download).

I saw one case where it was able to recover images on a Sony Memory Stick, when the other utilties someone tried were not able to recover them:

http://www.flashfixers.com/software/imagerecall.asp

I strongly suspect you're going to need a card reader (IF the data was not overwritten by a camera's format).As digcamfan pointed out, lots of readers do support Smartmedia now. But, I don't know if the files are recoverable (even with one) after an in camera format using a C-700UZ.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 2:18 PM   #12

Of all the data recovery tools I've used, this one is by far the best:

http://www.runtime.org/gdb.html

Since Olympus cameras operate to Windows as removable drives, I don't see why you'd even need a card reader. Just point the above software at the drive letter of your camera assigned by Windows and see what turns up.

S1Artiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 4:28 PM   #13

http://www.5starstools.com/system-repair/filerecovery-for-smartmedia.htm

Not sure why I was looking at compact flash

KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 6:02 AM   #14

I downloaded both programs (now makes 5 total) above with no help. My wife is going to the local 1 hr. photo shop to see if they can find anything. Thanks.
vette-freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 6:28 AM   #15
Administrator

Unlikely, unless they've got a card reader and try similar recovery software.

SmartMedia uses a non-standard format containing information on compatibility with Panorama assist mode. So, I'd be careful about what you let them try to do (IOW, don't let 'em write to the card). Otherwise, you may need to find an older type card reader that included the SMPREP utility to get it working again.

P.S. -- I'm still fishing around for a solution, but I haven't found one yet. I have seen more than one poster indicate that none of the image utilities work properly on Smartmedia. But, I'm not convinced yet (and the search engine is down on one site, so I can't look for older posts on the subject).

If I find out anything more, I'll post it here.

Old Jun 17, 2005, 6:39 AM   #16
Administrator

A Question:

Did you try "Physical" mode for recovery using Photorescue? It is my understanding that this mode tries to bypass the Operating System for recovery purposes (since the OS may be treating it as any other removal drive, and Smartmedia uses a non-standard format from what I've been able to determine).

Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:09 AM   #17

JimC wrote:
Quote:
A Question:

Did you try "Physical" mode for recovery using Photorescue? It is my understanding that this mode tries to bypass the Operating System for recovery purposes (since the OS may be treating it as any other removal drive, and Smartmedia uses a non-standard format from what I've been able to determine).
I tried that also. Guess what........same results. I will patiently await yor findings. Thanks again for your efforts & help.
vette-freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:16 AM   #18
Administrator

vette-freak wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
A Question:

I tried that also. Guess what........same results. I will patiently await yor findings. Thanks again for your efforts & help.
I'm still digging around. But, I still strongly suspect that these utilities are not going to work properly without a card reader. The camera may be intrepreting calls to media differently (not the first time I've seen that kind of thing with external media).

But, I don't want you to rush out and spend money on a reader unless we know it's going to help anything (and at this point, I don't know). I'm still trying to find out if anyone knows if the in camera format actually overwrites the data on the card, or if it's only recreating a new FAT.

So far, I've come up empty handed.

Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:22 PM   #19

http://www.convar.com

I have used this to recover files from mySD card. I have a multi-card reader and it will or shows that it can recover from any reader medium I have.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:28 PM   #20
Administrator

We need someone with Smartmedia and an Olympus camera (preferrably C7xx series) to tell us what they are using that works (or to see if nothing will work after an in camera format of Smartmedia with an Olympus Camera).

I asked for anyone with a C7xx model using Smartmedia in the Olympus Forum to reply to this thread if they could verify what (if anything) can recover from an in camera format of Smartmedia.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=22

I've yet to find anyone that's actually recovered files formatted by a camera using Smartmedia. If he's tried 5popular utilities with the usb connection to thecamera, I doubt another product is going to work.

But, it might not help for him to buy a card reader, since I have yet to find someone with Smartmedia that's actually recovered images from one this way (which doesn't mean it won't work, since it may be a limitation of the driver for the connectionto the Olympus camera). ;-)

If someone using Smartmedia could test it, that would him to know if buying a reader is worthwhile if it works that way.