Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:44 PM   #21

Hi JimC: I'll dig out my old Oly C720 and run a test on the smartmedia card this weekend.

I recommend he get the free download for "PC Inspector Smart Recovery."

"It recovers picture, sound and video files. It can read CompactFlash, SmartMedia, SONY Memory Stick, Secure Digital and other portable memory cards." The download is free:

http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_medi...uk/welcome.htm.

Per their web site, it specifically lists Olympus formats among others, as well as all JPEGs. I have yet to need to use it, will try to do a test for you this weekend. The program was reviewed by the computer guruKim Komando, and received a good rating on her website.

http://www.komando.com/shareware_show.asp?showID=7247

Vette-freak needs to get a multicard reader:I have purchased readers from Best Buy and Sam'sClub that will handle the smart media card. The latter was just purchased two weeks ago for $19 at Sam's Club and reads 9 types of card. I have used it for SmartMedia, CF, and xD cards, and it handles them all with no problems.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 5:43 PM   #22

Well, so far the results are not good. I shot 4 new images on a smart media card, then did an in-camera card reformat. Then I used the recovery software and a card reader to try and recover the 4 images.After two passes with the software, it has notrecovered any of the four photos.

The software makers claim it will recover the images, but so far it hasfailed. This was the first time I have used this program, so I will go thru the help guide to make sure all the settings are correct, and will try again later, but it is not encouraging.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 6:11 PM   #23
Administrator

Try the demo version of PhotoResuce in Physical Mode if you get a chance (and some of the others listed in this thread if you have time).

Let us know what brand/model of card reader you're using, too.

I've yet to read any posts from anyone that has actually recovered files from Smartmedia that's been formattedbyan Olympuscamera before. That doesn't mean they can't be recovered, but the chances are looking slimmer and slimmer.

I was hoping that perhaps it's justthe drivers for the camera causing a problem (or only certain cardreaders). But, if you can't get it to work with a reader, then that's not encouraging.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:10 PM   #24

Jim: bad news. I've tried with both PhotoRescue and SmartRecovery; and used 2 different card readers to be sure. Neither would recover photos from an in-camera reformat by an Oly C720.

Both programs worked okay with photos that were simply deleted in-camera, but could not find anything afterthe reformat. Looks like the software can not recover the older C7xx series reformat. Wish I had better news. Let me know if you want me to try anthing else.

Steven R.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:20 AM   #25

I appreciate all the help. After numerous tries with 6 different programs, I was unable to retreiveanything. After finding out it is getting hard to get smart media, I have (almost) convinced my wife to let me buy a digital SLR. Now I am starting to research them. Rebel XT is looking good so far.
vette-freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 6:23 PM   #26

TRY:

*********** 'Flash File Recovery'

It DOES support SmartMedia
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 1:35 PM   #27
Administrator

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
TRY:

*********** 'Flash File Recovery'

It DOES support SmartMedia
If he wants to try it, fine. He may also want to check with some of the data recovery services specializing in recovering files from flash memory.

But,all evidence suggests that nothing is going to be able to recover files from Smartmedia formatted by an OlympusC-7xx series camera.

The original poster with a problem has tried 6 different utilities with no results.

Also, another Poster (Steven R) testedsome utilities with his C-720UZand found the same thing (no files can be recovered from SmartMedia formatted by thecamera).

Also,searching multiple forums, I'vefound no evidence that anyone has everbeen able to recover files from Smartmedia formatted by an Olympus Camera.

I found lots of suggestions for utilities when users did have this problem (butno postsfrom anyone that has ever been able to recover files from Smartmedia after an in camera format, here or elsewhere). ;-)

Old Jul 2, 2005, 4:05 PM   #28

It seems that when the flash card is reformatted (by the camera or by PC), no public commercial software can recover them.

I used Winhex on a CF card I reformatted by my Coolpix, but to no avail. Winhex is yet another file recovery program like PC Inspector, Directory Snoop etc. but with one difference: it has a function called "recover file by type" (with all kinds of multimedia, compression, document formats etc). Apparently this search method looks for remnants of file header and residual data "patterns" of specific file formats within the data, and it is independent of the registry (which has been wiped clean by formatting). The program manage to find some info to recognize there are five JPG photos on the flash card, but it cannot retrieve the file information (name, size etc) or the images themselves.

I guess you really have to go to forensic methods of digital file retrieval to do this!
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 4:17 PM   #29
Administrator

blindsight wrote:
Quote:
It seems that when the flash card is reformatted (by the camera or by PC), no public commercial software can recover them.
Actually, you can usually recover files formatted by a camera or PC with most media types and camera models easily usingsoftware.

Even newer operating systems like Win XP usually don't overwrite the data on the card when formatting. They simply overwrite the File Allocation Table (FAT). So, utilities can read in sectors from the media and piece together the images, even without a FAT in many cases (newer algorithms are designed to recognize some oftheinformation inside of JPEG imagesto piece together the data from media to form contiguous JPEG files).

Some are even smart enough to piece together proprietary RAW formats, without a FAT to do it with.

Unfortunately, it looks an in camera format of Smartmedia may be doing something different compared to many cameras and operating systems based on evidence I've seen.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 8:44 AM   #30

hey everybody, i had the same problem as vette-freak, except that i formatted my SanDisk Secure Digital Card with my Canon Powershot A510. Anybody know if this will be easier to recover my pictures? any help would be really great
Bing07 is offline   Reply With Quote