Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 22, 2005, 3:46 PM   #1

Are there any good deals on 1GB or higher capacity CF type I cards? I'd prefer something that's good enough for max-quality movies in my S1 IS. I've heard the newest Sandisk standard 1GB and 2GB cards should work.
I can't find anything for an affordable (to me) price, though. Is there anyone that's running any good sales on cards, so that if I order in time (without it requiring a credit card) I can be reasonably assured of receiving the card(s) by the 30th of June?

Also, is there a good database that tests a wide range of CF cards in prosumer / ultrazoom digicams? I know about Rod Galbraith's site, but he doesn't test in the PowerShot S1 IS (or other ultrazoom cameras), nor does he test the movie mode. What's a good site that's as extensive as his, but tests the non-SLR cams with movie modes?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2005, 1:23 AM   #2

So far I can't find anything on ebay. I'll set a snipe, but before the auction is over, the total price (including shipping, insurances, and taxes, where applicable) has gone over my $40 ceiling.

Is there a reputable website where:
items are bid on
starting bids are typically < $1 with no reserve
shipping is usually < $10
paypal is accepted, confirmed addresses are not required
the supply greatly exceeds the demand
???

================================================== =

OR....

is there something I can get for my S1 IS that...

fits in a CF slot (and allows me to close the door for the camera to operate properly)
is as durable as a Compact Flash card (not microdrive)
has at least a minimum of 2 to 2.5MB (preferably higher) sustained write speed (and read speed)
comes in at least 1GB capacities or higher
is the same price per gigabyte as DVD+/-R discs (when the DVDs are bought in spindles of 50 or 100)
??????????
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:43 AM   #3

CostCo. Canada will be having a 1 week sale(first week of July I think) on 1gb sandisks, 20%off regular price. The regular price here is about 96$cdn so they should be about 78$cdn on sale. Convert to US$ should be close to 50$us.
That is about the lowest price I've seen them sold anywhere.

No idea if CostCo.US will be having the same sale.
(these are the plain, slow cards going on sale)

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:01 PM   #4

kingston 2GB CF for $99.99 at outpost.com

any experience with kingston?

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/449...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
turkish a. punkass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:25 PM   #5

zipzoomfly has Kingston Elite Pro 1GB for $54 and $10 rebate free shipping

also Elite Pro 2GB $111.90 and $20 rebate, free shipping

I believe rebates are good until 7/31

Both are CF type I
digicams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 4:27 PM   #6

I try to check Price Grabber to compare lowest price. Newegg seems to be the lowest usually on memory.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:06 AM   #7

www.buy.com has the Kingston Elite Pro 1GB for $79. There are a lot of places out there with good prices on 1GB and 2GB cards, you just have to search. Price grabber doesn't always pick up all the sales. Especially the store sales.
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:32 PM   #8

I picked up two of the Kingston Elite 1Gb cards from buy.com.
They are working just fine.

I got an email from them that they also have 2Gb cards for not much more than the 1Gb (after all the rebates) but I can't find it online anywhere.

mphare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:55 PM   #9

I don't like both sandisk and kingston Cf card type I, theirs seem not high speed cards. Maybe sandisk will focus on Ultra II or III, and Kingston's alwaysbad in quality. I heard my friends bought twice, and twice can not use in his camera.

Do you like Transcend? I love it's logo and the color on the card. hi-speed 80X 1GB Cf type I is only $69. You can see it here http://www.meritline.com/commemcarfor.html

They have upto 4GB CF too!!!

Seems the price of larger capacity card in the market isvery high.

I have a Pentax SV digital camera, now I am using Toshiba 512MB SD, it can takes upto 500 pictures at 5.0MP, but just 353 photos when I use the best quality to shot. Now I am consider 1GB miniSD, yesterday I found www.meritline.com1GB SanDisk miniSD arrived, it looks cool, and the price iscool too.

http://www.meritline.com/securedigitalsdcards.html

Between 1GB Sandisk miniSD and 1GB Transend 80x regular SD,which one I shouldchoose?
leafalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 2:42 AM   #10

Mfare, I did notice a 2GB for I want to say around $129 I think it was..go to www.supercoupon.com and I think the promotion code is posted on there. I make it a habit to check that site every few days for the promotion codes. If you haven't been to that site, you are in for a treat. Saved a few hundred dollars on Canon Lenses last week.

Leaffalling, wow! you just slammed the number two and number three fastest compact flash cards as tested in cameras where speed makes a difference. I think you are in the minority of the people that have problems with the Kingstoncards. Also, the speed of a certain brand will vary from a say 1GB card to say a 512MB or 2GB. You can't compare SD cards to CF cards; two different animals. As for your Pentax Optio SV camera, it really doesn't matter which brand you buy since your camera can't really take advantage of faster cards. Transcend does look cool and it is on the speed chart also, somewhere near the bottom!. Don't take that wrong, because it will do just fine in your camera. In your situation, I would buy whichever is on sale, unless I had a card reader/writer that is going to make use of higher speed card.
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote