Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:00 AM   #1

Default Quick capacity question

How many pics will a 512 mb card hold for a 4mp camera? Have a 3mp and 128 is 90 or so, but dont know about a 4mp.
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:32 AM   #2

Depends on image size and compression. For example, a 256MB CF once formatted will have 244MB. Assuming ~2.7MB per image, I can fit 91 images with the least compression, 137 images with more compression, 269 images with the most compression. Keep in mind that cameras use different compression schemes, mine uses 2.7:1, 4:1, and 8:1 compressions. Assuming I used my camera with the same settings, and with a 512MB CF, after formatting the CF would have 488MB, fit 182, 274, and 538 images respectively to compression used. Hope that helps give you an idea.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 6:43 AM   #3

Just to add to the confussion: everything marokero said is right, but it also depends on what you are taking pictures of. With many (most?) cameras, a shot of a monochrome wall will compress much more than a shot of something with a lot of fine detail.

So to estimate the file size for a 4Mpixel camera vs 3Mp I'd suggest simply using the pixel ratio and not taking the number you get to seriously.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 12:19 PM   #4

Thanks.
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote