Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 6, 2003, 3:18 AM   #1

Default Copying Photos TO a CF Card From Computer

My wife has a small photo only printer (HP130) that takes the CF and SM cards and others, what I have to do sometimes is crop some shots in the computer for her than put the photos on the card. Also I take scanned photos of the family album and put them on the card so I can use the card in the printer. She has Windows 95 so that is why the card recording is done.
Two questions:
#1 When I crop a photo in the computer it shows a little larger in the photo the printer makes, the printer chops the top and bottom of the heads off a little bit, but when viewing the same photo in the computer, it shows the full cropped picture with no chopping.
#2 Does writting "recording" on to the card from the computer using a card reader/writter "hurt" the card doing it too much?
She likes to take the printer with her and most of the time she will be using the card right out of the camera, but sometimes you have a group of people and she may want to cut out some in the background, etc.
Thanks for any help.
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2003, 7:00 AM   #2

Quote:
#1 When I crop a photo in the computer it shows a little larger in the photo the printer makes, the printer chops the top and bottom of the heads off a little bit, but when viewing the same photo in the computer, it shows the full cropped picture with no chopping.
Are you keeping the same aspect ratio in your cropped photo? As an example, if you start with a photo that is 2000x1500 pixels (4:3 ratio) and crop it to 2000x1200 (5:3) the printer might be recropping it to 4:3 (1600x1200) to fill the paper.
Quote:
#2 Does writting "recording" on to the card from the computer using a card reader/writter "hurt" the card doing it too much?
The simple answer is no. But keep in mind that handling is the major source of problems with memory. Though problems are rare, the more handling, the more chance of problems. So don't do things like handling the memory after petting a cat in a dry room or dropping the card into your coffee.

There are other issues that result from your computer and camera using a different disk formating system (FAT16, FAT32, ...). But if you haven't had problems so far, you probably won't because of that.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 7:55 AM   #3

Thanks Bill for the info. When I crop I just drag the box over a section of the picture I want, like the head and shoulders, click inside the square to highlite the outline of the "box", do a copy and than open another photo program and do a paste, I have no way of knowing the size.
I just make the "box" about what I think it should look like.
I use MGI Photo Suite 4 for the picture I want to crop from and Lviewpro for the paste.
The "Lviewpro" is an old program I downloaded years ago.
I always had to use two photo programs when I do a crop and "copy" and a "paste" never could use the same program, it never worked for me.
I appreciate the help.
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:35 AM   #4
NHL

Quote:
All flashes have a finite erase/write cycles, although pretty large 500k to 1million cycles, but unlike RAM one does not write one location... to rewrite one memory location (byte word whatever) an entire block need to be erased and rewrite just to modify one location, hence the number of erase cycles run up quite quickly...

Remember thoses time you review and delete the pictures from the camera? The firmware/controller usually handle those mundane tasks so it's transparent to the users, but thoses memory cells do pass away with use, and get remapped through ECC unknown to the users...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
...but thoses memory cells do pass away with use, and get remapped through ECC unknown to the users...
Do those get mapped as something like bad sectors on a hard drive so they vanish from the card? In otherwords, the card has less capacity but still works?

Beyond the nastiness squinting at a little LCD, that seems to be a reason not to delete pictures.[/quote]
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 12:35 PM   #6
NHL

Yeap!

Good programmers doing low-level drivers (or controller) for flash will try not to re-use the same block after each erase...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote