Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 7, 2003, 7:41 AM   #11
NHL

Quote:
That just means the price will fall on the "little" cards that 99% of us will use!
True... It'll also make the 1G microdrive even more affordable, which it already is with the lowest cost/Mb (and the fastest) for the others! :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 8:15 AM   #12

No GB war. now that the resolving power of digital has entered a new phase with this new generation of cameras. they now surpass the resolving power of HQ film. in order to do that a substantial amount of data is required. as i said it ain't for everyone. when a kodak pro back produces a ~128MB image current cards will not suffice. if your happy with your current image quality then your where you want to be right now. for some jpeg is not an option. RAW and TIFF are the tools of the trade. high resolution requires space. compression causes loss and or artifacts. it's just simple math.

1GB Microdrive (all data approx)

my current Dimage 7Hi RAW- ~104 images
TIFF- ~070 images

DCS Pro 14n(on order) RAW- ~066 compressed DCS
TIFF- ~025 images

you'll also note the new standard for HDs-SATA- capable of ~150MB burst xfr rates(and later higher)(now the challenge for scsi superiority is on) along with the now 200+GB HDs out today.
PC motherboards now support up to 4GB RAM. makes PS and large images just a little less tedious along with HyperThreading pentiums.
its all just another phase in developement.

yep, i'm tooling a new box together right now.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 8:52 AM   #13

Quote:
its aimed at the big gun users the eos-1ds, dcs pro 14n, and the new Nikon XXX model
:?: Now most of the pros i have seen seem to tug along lots of equipment whereever they go. I wonder if there is someone out there comming up with an external storage device that hooks up to a camera via a cord, allowing the camera to treat this device as a cf card, therefore write to it internaly? With DSLR firmware upgradable, we can be looking at 40+ gigs at a time!!! sort of like an external battery pack
A thought :!:
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 8:59 AM   #14

well in theory a firewire external drive should do that. but of course implementation of the standard is the question. and since i have a external 2.5 in firewire/usb2 housing with a 30gb hd in it as soon as i get the dcs i'l give it a go and probable be disappointed. but then again miracles do happen
Old Jan 7, 2003, 9:55 PM   #15

sjms,

I assume in SATA you mean Serial ATA.

I know of no SATA drive which is actually capable of delivering 150MB burst. Its the same thing that goes with ATA-133. The drives themselves can't max what the bus is capable of.

The only disks I know of which can be hooked up to that interface are still (internaly) the same physical disk as older PATA. But I stopped researching after I build my own machine 5 months ago.

For a good place to check out disk drive review, look at:
http://www.storagereview.com

At the moment, the fastest drive they have is Seagate Cheetah 15K.3 ST373453LW) using Ultra320 SCSI. And they test a lot of drives.

There are reasons to get PATA, but until they can improve the hard disks down wind of the interface they are connected to, speed of the bus shouldn't be the top reason. (price over SCSI, easier to hook up many disks? Better air flow in the case....)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 7:21 AM   #16
NHL

Default Regarding Firewire ...

The bar has been raised, would'nt it be nice if your digicam and camcorder (and PC/MAC) can all talk together?

Quote:
That means you can send more than a CDís worth of data every ten seconds. Twenty times as far...
http://www.apple.com/firewire/

Quote:
Whatís more, you donít even have to have a new computer or device to gain the length. As long as both devices are connected to a FireWire 800 hub, you can connect them via super-efficient glass optical cable. That means you could put a camera on the field ó connected directly to a Mac in the press box. Or set up a killer digital audio studio with Macs in one room and recording interfaces in another with no latency loss from the extra cable length. The short ó about 5 meters ó cable distance and the lack of peer-to-peer connectivity of USB 2.0 limits its usefulness in deployments that require long-haul cabling, such as sound stages and studios.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 7:42 AM   #17

yes u320 scsi is the highest performance setup right now. but the cost and return on investment in a non enterprise situation is not too good on the return side. at approx $230/36GB 10k u320 drive vs a sata $163/120GB 7.2k 150 drive the u320 wins in performance but loses on a few other fronts. cost per MB. controller cost. even the darn cabling is expensive.

i've been a scsi preacher for quite a few years. my current setup is a adaptec u160n controller and 3 18GB u160 ibm ultrastar 10k drives. even the cdrom and RW are scsi. but the cost is now for me too high for a commodity type device today. the mobo's today come with ata100, ata133, and sata. in addition for fun a little 0,1 raid package too.

disk overall speed/performance is going to be sacrificed for working volume and keeping in the budget arena.

but again i agree that scsi is still the master of the disk realm.

the seagate barracuda V SATA is native SATA not just a adapted PATA assembly. but of course time will tell as to the performance.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 7:54 AM   #18

very timely of apple to release a computer with FW800. its a shame that the rest of their hardware is getting a little long on the tooth.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/diginews..._07_macpc.html

even they don't implement firewire to its full capability. they remind me of the character Morbius in the film "Forbidden Planet". his statement about the the Krell technology- "from time to time i will deliver to earth some of the technology when earh is ready as i see fit" or something like that.

it is unfortunate that apple the birthplace of so many good things is struggling with their own identity as to what they truely are.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 9:02 AM   #19
NHL

Somebody needs to make the 1st step, otherwise the USB camp still claim their superiority even though it's pretty restricted, especially in the multi-host department...

I think Apple realizes this already, I won't be surprised if they wouldn't switch to another processor family in the near future or even Intel. Look at Sun! They would keep their OS-x though...
Old Jan 8, 2003, 9:24 AM   #20

NHL

A mac head can can correct me here, I'm pulling this from memory on what I read on www.arstechnica.com. I pay attention, but I'm still a WinTel person by nature (but Mac in my heart.)

IBM is working on a desktop version of their Power4 processor. IT still needs some work (lower power consumption, no AltiVec) but it looks like they are trying to solve these issues. I doubt they'd call it the G5, but the hints were (5 months ago or so) that this was the direction things were going to go. I don't know if this has been refuted yet.

sjms

I fully agree on the cost of SCSI. I was a SCSI person as well, but ATA is just too cheap to ignore. What I mean about the 'Cutta is that once you get beyond the drive interface (not an adapter plug, but the connector on its board) the drive mechanics are the same with PATA. And I bet those are partially to blame for the limited factor. I would be surprised (but tech has surprised me before) that if drive manufacturers could not saturate ATA133, how are they going to saturate 150MB/s? Sure, they'll do it eventually but I'd go to SATA for other reasons than speed right now.

I'd be weary of onboard RAID chips. All the reviews I've seen show some serious downsides. Relying heavily on the processor for starters. You want that CPU to work on PhotoShop, not your raid.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote