Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 8, 2003, 9:41 AM   #21

well os 10xxx does exist in a intel envoirnment. it just sits in the great tech vault at apple. they always make it look like everything they do is a great breakthrough. the flash and hype they put out is outstanding. i wish they would just get down to the science and business of design and distribution of high quality technology instead of trying to out do PT Barnum. lets face the fact that computers and related technologies are a commodity industry now. the wizards are gone.

and as to the raid issue its there but it won't be used. i'll play with SATA a bit.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 11:51 AM   #22
NHL

Quote:
I'm still a WinTel person by nature (but Mac in my heart.)
... Aren't we all? It's funny how we all think alike, me too I'm also one the few left that still have a SCSI CDR/w in their PC, notwitsanding the SCSI scanner, and the assortment of JAZs (and original SCSI Zips). I believe the SCSI drivers also also have a few 'trick access' over the ATA/IDE cousin.
Quote:
SCSI can support up to 16 devices on a single bus (IDE offers two), generally offers faster throughput, uses less CPU horsepower during operation, and is therefore more efficient in demanding multiple initiator applications for multi-users and uses. This is significant because it allows the processor to perform more commands at one time making for greater efficiency.
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/library/interfaces.htm

Have you guys seen this?
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030107/sftu105_1.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 3:26 PM   #23

Default 4GB Microdrive

As usual, the hardware is ahead of the software. While today most of us can't figure out what we would do with multi-GB storage cards, I am sure that we are going to find out sooner than we think. And we will wonder how we got by with only 128MB to 1GB cards. We need this stuff to be coming out before we need it so it becomes affordable by the time we do.

Has anyone experienced slow response time as they fill up their 1GB microdrives? As mine started to get a lot of images on it, I noticed it was very slow to write. So I cleaned it up and it got better. I do try to keep it empty and do format it occasionally.
sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 4:08 PM   #24
NHL

Have you try to defrag from the PC?

The way to use it (like Flash) is to download the whole thing and format the drive (or flash) ie don't use delete (or move). Deleting pictures from the camera just waste the batteries... Its fast everytime if you format, and is also quicker with just 1-step!

Quote:
While today most of us can't figure out what we would do with multi-GB storage cards
It may be still true for cameras, but CF are also use in other applications like network configuration where a switch can go down, but it has to remember all the connections when it boots up... or when used in PDAs or laptops where e_mail & attachments can quickly fill up whatever Gig is available (especially Powerpoint presentation or MPEG2 test video streams). CF is not just camera centric, MP3 players is another example...
Old Jan 12, 2003, 8:55 AM   #25
NHL

BTW I'll like to see the guy face who'll buy the to be released 1G MemoryStick Pro, check in all his music to the player, then lose it or delete the files... bye, bye! :lol:
Old Jan 12, 2003, 6:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie J
If you need portable storage of 4GB, just imagine how big your main storage on PC would have to be!!!

Well, I'm up to 200 gigs now.

But really, storage is cheap these days. Companies are making external USB 2.0 hard drives with 120 GIGS of capacity for all of $200.

I have to say my heart went pitty-pat initially when I saw this 4 gig deal. BUT I also have to say, as I think about it, I like not having all my eggs in one basket, and having spares and backups. I bought another 1 gig, slightly used, on ebay for a total of $200 including shipping. I like the concept of not putting everything on a long trip on one drive.
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 6:56 PM   #27
NHL

monsieurms

You can't use more than 2G right now on your camera anyway. I have now 3 microdrives, but still back them up nightly to the MindStor or laptop for safe keeping on travels...

External USB 2.0 or Firewire hard drives are the way to go... I gave up on CD's (and no warming to DVD either)
Old Jan 12, 2003, 9:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
External USB 2.0 or Firewire hard drives are the way to go
Hey NHL,
this is interesting are they out already ? how about price?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 9:10 PM   #29
NHL

This is one example:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/products/ex...00dv/index.htm

Theses are more rugged:
http://www.iomega.com/na/products/pr...=1042427695300
Old Jan 12, 2003, 9:34 PM   #30

Thanks !
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote