Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 13, 2003, 4:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
you hope and pray for that firmware upgrade that provides support for it.

and if not- you know the rather expensive alternative.

you must realize that these will be quite high in price and are designed for the big gun dslrs like the new nikons, kodaks and canons full frames. some semi high end ones support fat32 already.
Blame Bill Gates. It's his fault for creating the old FAT files sytem. A file system that showed its weaknesses *years* ago.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 11:37 AM   #32

This little drive is very cool. I saw the pics of it.

Newbie type question: where do you use it? just hold it in your hand? use usb to connect to your camera and then upload to computer?

thanks!
erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 2:00 PM   #33

This is what I have used with my iBook for quite a while.I use it with Firewire but it can be used with USB 2.0 or 1.1.Lots of room for storage on this.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...m=OWCMOFWU20GB

Ray

D490Z,C-5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 3:41 PM   #34
NHL

Erika

Quote:
Newbie type question: where do you use it? just hold it in your hand? use usb to connect to your camera and then upload to computer?
You can use the microdrive in any camera that'll accept a CF-2 card (it's slighly thicker than CF-1), preferably one with AA rechargeable NiMh battery. The same device can go directly into a PCMCIA adapter if you have a laptop, but almost any CF reader will also accept it...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 4:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Blame Bill Gates. It's his fault for creating the old FAT files sytem. A file system that showed its weaknesses *years* ago.
to blame gates for this is a little off base. remember that DOS was farmed out by IBM to MS and specific parameters were set along with HD sizes of the time and whole lot of short term thinking. they produced what was required at the time. MS-DOS became the defacto standard because no one did any better way back then.
you did have apple as an option.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 5:26 PM   #36
NHL

Quote:
DOS was farmed out by IBM to MS and specific parameters were set along with HD sizes of the time
Yea Megabyte was huge for HD in thoses early days! :lol: :lol: :lol:
... anyone remember the speed of those early x86? ops: ops: ops:
Old Jan 28, 2003, 6:54 AM   #37

[quote="NHL... anyone remember the speed of those early x86? [/quote]

Ah yes: the 286 was a blindingly fast system after working with a Trash80. The PC still had cassette input so you didn't have to use the very expensive 5.25" floppy drive.

You hear folks mumbling about the "640K memory limit" of DOS, but it seems not many recall the 32M hard drive limit. Does anyone have that little memory in their camera?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 10:03 AM   #38
NHL

Well its all relative, a TRS-80 was plenty fast compared to an Altair!

How about the cost of thoses 32Mb clunker, one could surely buy a camera for what they used to go for... ops: (and one needs a view camera to put those drive in) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Jan 29, 2003, 9:36 PM   #39

Quote:
This is what I have used with my iBook for quite a while.I use it with Firewire but it can be used with USB 2.0 or 1.1.Lots of room for storage on this.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...m=OWCMOFWU20GB

Ray

very nice!
these things look terrific!
Old Jan 29, 2003, 9:38 PM   #40

Quote:
Erika

Quote:

You can use the microdrive in any camera that'll accept a CF-2 card (it's slighly thicker than CF-1), preferably one with AA rechargeable NiMh battery. The same device can go directly into a PCMCIA adapter if you have a laptop, but almost any CF reader will also accept it...
thanks!

Erika