Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 13, 2003, 4:41 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
you hope and pray for that firmware upgrade that provides support for it.

and if not- you know the rather expensive alternative.

you must realize that these will be quite high in price and are designed for the big gun dslrs like the new nikons, kodaks and canons full frames. some semi high end ones support fat32 already.
Blame Bill Gates. It's his fault for creating the old FAT files sytem. A file system that showed its weaknesses *years* ago.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 11:37 AM   #32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 16
Default

This little drive is very cool. I saw the pics of it.

Newbie type question: where do you use it? just hold it in your hand? use usb to connect to your camera and then upload to computer?

thanks!
erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 2:00 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 186
Default

This is what I have used with my iBook for quite a while.I use it with Firewire but it can be used with USB 2.0 or 1.1.Lots of room for storage on this.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...m=OWCMOFWU20GB

Ray

D490Z,C-5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 3:41 PM   #34
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

Erika

Quote:
Newbie type question: where do you use it? just hold it in your hand? use usb to connect to your camera and then upload to computer?
You can use the microdrive in any camera that'll accept a CF-2 card (it's slighly thicker than CF-1), preferably one with AA rechargeable NiMh battery. The same device can go directly into a PCMCIA adapter if you have a laptop, but almost any CF reader will also accept it...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 4:59 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
sjms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,735
Default

Quote:
Blame Bill Gates. It's his fault for creating the old FAT files sytem. A file system that showed its weaknesses *years* ago.
to blame gates for this is a little off base. remember that DOS was farmed out by IBM to MS and specific parameters were set along with HD sizes of the time and whole lot of short term thinking. they produced what was required at the time. MS-DOS became the defacto standard because no one did any better way back then.
you did have apple as an option.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 5:26 PM   #36
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

Quote:
DOS was farmed out by IBM to MS and specific parameters were set along with HD sizes of the time
Yea Megabyte was huge for HD in thoses early days! :lol: :lol: :lol:
... anyone remember the speed of those early x86? ops: ops: ops:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 6:54 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
BillDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hay River Township, WI
Posts: 2,512
Default

[quote="NHL... anyone remember the speed of those early x86? [/quote]

Ah yes: the 286 was a blindingly fast system after working with a Trash80. The PC still had cassette input so you didn't have to use the very expensive 5.25" floppy drive.

You hear folks mumbling about the "640K memory limit" of DOS, but it seems not many recall the 32M hard drive limit. Does anyone have that little memory in their camera?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 10:03 AM   #38
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

Well its all relative, a TRS-80 was plenty fast compared to an Altair!

How about the cost of thoses 32Mb clunker, one could surely buy a camera for what they used to go for... ops: (and one needs a view camera to put those drive in) :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 9:36 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
This is what I have used with my iBook for quite a while.I use it with Firewire but it can be used with USB 2.0 or 1.1.Lots of room for storage on this.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...m=OWCMOFWU20GB

Ray

very nice!
these things look terrific!
erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 9:38 PM   #40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Erika

Quote:
Newbie type question: where do you use it? just hold it in your hand? use usb to connect to your camera and then upload to computer?


You can use the microdrive in any camera that'll accept a CF-2 card (it's slighly thicker than CF-1), preferably one with AA rechargeable NiMh battery. The same device can go directly into a PCMCIA adapter if you have a laptop, but almost any CF reader will also accept it...
thanks!

Erika
erika is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:59 PM.