Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 6, 2003, 1:27 PM   #1

Default As predicted the Microdrive just got bigger. A LOT BIGGER!

http://www.robgalbraith.com/diginews...icrodrive.html

Now that Hitachi has taken over IBM's HD business the big news is out.

4GB microdrives this fall. Just in time for those big 40MB images off of the Full frame DSLRS.

NHL- Enjoy!
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2003, 1:31 PM   #2
NHL

Good catch!

Let see if the DCF catch up or we'll all have to partition up thoses babies. Pricing should also be interesting...

Quote:
... the new Microdrive will sport data transfer rates that are 50% faster than the current 340MB, 512MB and 1GB models. This speed bump, says the company, also means the 4GB Microdrive, which stores data on a miniature hard drive, will be "faster than all competitive solid-state data storage products available today."
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:24 PM   #3

If you need portable storage of 4GB, just imagine how big your main storage on PC would have to be!!!
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:29 PM   #4

How would someone use 4GB on current cameras that do not support FAT32? Would we only be able to use 2GB?
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 3:46 PM   #5

you hope and pray for that firmware upgrade that provides support for it.

and if not- you know the rather expensive alternative.

you must realize that these will be quite high in price and are designed for the big gun dslrs like the new nikons, kodaks and canons full frames. some semi high end ones support fat32 already.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 5:30 PM   #6

you must question how many people really NEED a 4gig storage capacity...plus i still have not been convinced on the reliability of a mechanical device. I mean if 512meg get damaged, you cry; if a 4 gig piece does that,well....
So how about that 8 gig xd potential?....
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 5:52 PM   #7

well as to the need for the volume. again its aimed at the big gun users the eos-1ds, dcs pro 14n, and the new Nikon XXX model that is destined to be announced on march. there is also the kodak back for the 645 format. these all produce raw and tiffs between 15 and 128+ MB. 4 gb sound like a lot but as we all know nature abhores a vacuum. we will fill it and quickly too.

reliability- this is my sticking point too. but for the past 7 months i have had a 1 gb MD on loan from a IBM rep. i have treated just as my other CF cards with no issues. so i am warming up to the little beast. ok NHL

cost per MB will be lower than the equivelent CF card. i estimate in the $750 catagory or maybe less later on after christmas 2003. there will be a 2GB model for the FAT32 challenged.

xD- sounds good also with the adapter it also has a great potential. i look at the history of the mem stick and smartmedia. they also promised the big one and didn't get past 128MB so far. sony still claims they will and smartmedia is now a moot point. sony is also concocting a new high performance format also. will wonders never cease?

as with everything else its a matter of choice. i have a dcs 14n on order. we'll see where the chips fall and where the formats form.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 6:30 PM   #8
NHL

Quote:
I mean if 512meg get damaged, you cry
No I go out and buy another microdrive... You are a doubter until you use it, and find it so convenient that you won't go back to flash! I have severals, one of which is used in my son MP3 player, and from the dents and scratches on the player I know he must have abused it several times.

I offloaded the microdrive to the MindStor daily on traveling, and then realize the laptop 2.5" hardisks that go into theses devices are several magnitude less reliable than the microdrive itself... So if anyone offload their small flashes to a Databanks and the likes, beware!

BTW the last two (white boxed) microdrives were shipped to me in plain self-sealed Fedex envelopes without any padding!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:45 PM   #9

I was born in the last century... my digital camera makes nice pictures that take up about 2 or 3 MB files. I print them and they look pretty good. I own two cards, a 256 and a 128 MB. I have been pretty happy so far. These two cards have allowed me to take pictures over a two week vacation a pretty long time, which is all I can afford.

I suspect we're being sucked into a "Gigabite War". There may be some folks who really need 4 GBs of storage in their cameras. I won't for the next few years. Guess I'm just an old guy. With that kind of storage, I'd probably forget what pictures I took before I download them.

Getting old is the pits.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 12:15 AM   #10

Wildman,

SHHHHHHH!!!!! Let them have their 4 gigs or 8 or more. That just means the price will fall on the "little" cards that 99% of us will use!
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote