Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:09 PM   #1

Ok, first off...

I need to get at least a 512MB or 1GB Compact Flash by Thursday, as I plan to take it (and my Canon S1 IS) with me Friday on a weekend trip.

What would you say is the best deal I can get for CFs? (I'd REALLY like 1GB, but would be willing to consider 512MB IF it's cheaper to get two 512's than to get one 1GB.)
I'd REALLY like at LEAST a minimum 2MB/sec sustained write speed. A higher capacity (like 2GB or more IF I can get a good deal - preferably under $50 to $80 including shipping/tax where applicable) would be nice, but for now 1GB would probably be ok.

Also, for future reference, what's a good way to find out more about photo viewers with built-in card readers and decent LCD screens? Also, what would be a good way to figure out where the balance in price is between having several GB of 3 megapixel prints made, versus getting a photo viewer with a hard drive that's built like a tank? I'd really like to clear up my existing 1GB, 512MB, 256MB, 128MB, and 64MB CF cards to take pictures with, not just to show pictures I've previously taken.

pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:52 AM   #2

Since there's a shortage of time, eBay isn't an option, because shipping overnight (or same day) would be astronomical - possibly more expensive than the memory card. It looks like I'll need to get one at a store.

So, should I get a couple 512s, or one 1GB, or if I find a REALLY good deal, a 2GB?

Also, what are some stores that carry Compact Flash cards? I can so far think of Ritz Camera, Fry's, Office Depot, Staples, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, anyone else I should check into? I'll probably be shopping tomorrow (Thurs 06-30-2005) (actually it's 11:56pm at the time I'm typing this so tomorrow's about 4 mins away) or early Friday (07-01-2005).

Basically I'd like at least 1GB (2GB if I can find a really good deal). (the reason I said possibly two 512's is maybe the 512s are cheaper per MB than the 1, depending on where I shop). I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 512 though.

As far as the LCD photo viewer, I'll post about that in another topic.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote