Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 30, 2005, 3:52 AM   #1

I am trying to recover images from a Smart Media Card used in S602Pro.

ImageRecover only returns list of files but no images. This is known to IamgeRECOVER but no mention of this on their site.

Can anyone help please?
kaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:27 PM   #2
Administrator

kaytee wrote:
Quote:
I am trying to recover images from a Smart Media Card used in S602Pro.

ImageRecover only returns list of files but no images. This is known to IamgeRECOVER but no mention of this on their site.

Can anyone help please?

kaytee:

Welcome to the forums. I'm not familiar with ImageRecover. So, I downloaded their trial to see how it works.

When it returns a list of files, what are there names? Are you sure they are not image files (have a .jpg extension)?

Images are files, and the list you are seeing may be the filenames for your images.

From what I can see from looking at the demo, it's relatively simple to use. After selecting the Scan option,you then select the drive letter for your camera or card reader as the Drive to be scanned from the drop down list and press Next.

Then, select the folder on your hard drive (usually your C drive) that you want the images saved to (what they are calling the "Save path"), and press Next.

It will then Scan the memory card are give you a list of files found. These should be your images. What filenames are being shown in the list? Do you see a .jpg or .jpeg extension?

I don't have the docs, but it appears that you can simply use the "Select all" check box and then press "Save" to save them to the folder you chose as your "Save path"

It also has the ability to view images found before saving, etc.

At what point are you seeing filenames, what are they filenames, and are you sure you're they are not your images?

Edit/Added:

OK -- I tested it on another card and found that the regular Scan may not work correctly.

For example, onone card it gave me only 1 filename that was not an image filename (and said it was unrecoverable).

But, I tried the "Advanced Scan", and it worked fine with the demo. It simply numbered the files it found as 1.jpeg, 2.jpeg, etc.

Try the Advanced Scan feature and see if the files are images (.jpg or .jpeg extension). If not, there are a number of other programs you could try (and some are free).

Let us know how far you got with ImageRecover (trying the Advanced Scan if necessary). If itwon't work,we can pointyou to some better known utilities to try.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 6:39 AM   #3

Tks. JimC for the time taken.

Everything you say is correct when applied to media other than Smart Media.

I should say that the problem for me is specific in that it refers to SM card with S602Pro and this is what ImageRECOVER had to say

[align=left]We have seen Fuji cameras in the past completely overwrite data during a delete or format. This is really a hardware error as other camera manufacturers only delete the reference to the file and leave the data intact.[/align]

I have tried Don'tPanic, Zero Assumption and PhotoRescue, none of which found any files.
With IR i can recover files names,JPEG files, save them to the Recovered folder, which when opened states "no preview available". Trying to import into Photoshop results in message "could not complete your request because a JPEG marker segment length is too short" [the file may may be truncated or incomplete].
This happens on every single occasion.
With PSP the messasge is "this is not a valid JPEG.JFIF file"

So far I cannot get an specific answer from Fuji.
Once again thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 2:45 PM   #4
Administrator

kaytee wrote:
Quote:
I should say that the problem for me is specific in that it refers to SM card with S602Pro and this is what ImageRECOVER had to say

[align=left]We have seen Fuji cameras in the past completely overwrite data during a delete or format. This is really a hardware error as other camera manufacturers only delete the reference to the file and leave the data intact.[/align]

I have tried Don'tPanic, Zero Assumption and PhotoRescue, none of which found any files.
With IR i can recover files names,JPEG files, save them to the Recovered folder, which when opened states "no preview available". Trying to import into Photoshop results in message "could not complete your request because a JPEG marker segment length is too short" [the file may may be truncated or incomplete].
This happens on every single occasion.
With PSP the messasge is "this is not a valid JPEG.JFIF file"
I've seen this problem with Olympus models after an in camera format. Here is a recent thread on the subject:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=52

The original poster with a problem tried 6 different products without success.

Also, forum member Steven R tested an Olympus C-720UZmodel with two different tools and was unable to recover files from SmartMedia with tools he tried after an in camera format.

But, the products he tried were able to recover deleted files (if the card was not formatted by the camera). He said this (you'll see this post on the second page of the thread):

Quote:
Jim: bad news. I've tried with both PhotoRescue and SmartRecovery; and used 2 different card readers to be sure. Neither would recover photos from an in-camera reformat by an Oly C720.

Both programs worked okay with photos that were simply deleted in-camera, but could not find anything afterthe reformat. Looks like the software can not recover the older C7xx series reformat. Wish I had better news. Let me know if you want me to try anthing else.

Steven R.

Was your SmartMedia card formatted?

If not (files were only deleted), I'd make sure to try a few more products, just to make sure that Fuji models don't work the same way as the Olympus models using SmartMedia work.

I'd start out with Digital Image Recovery (it's free). Here is a download link to the install software (.zip file).

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2

Make sure you know your source drive letter when starting it (the drive letter for your camera or card reader).Simplypick a drive letter for the source drive,and a folder to save images to on your local hard disk drive.

It that doesn't fly, I'd try a few more -- just to see. If one can return filenames (but can't quite seem to piece together the data correctly), then another may be able to figure out it.

Did you try Physical Mode with PhotoRescue?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 8:53 AM   #5

Over the weekend I have tried all your suggestions and have also tried many other recovery programmes, but none of them will restore the images. In fact only one other will come close to ImageRECOVER.

In biew of the comments of ImageRecover quoted earlier I have requested Fujifilm to confirm if ther statement is correct and that images are therefore irrecoverable, maybe only for this particular model.

Their reply will be posted but meanwhile your help has been appreciated.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 2:32 PM   #6

I have just received the following response from Fujifilm.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As I live in Spain would anyone care to take up this and see what they can offer?

"At this point in time we are suggesting that you please contact our Digital Imaging Technical Help Desk by dialing 1-800-800-3854, option #1 for further assistance. "
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:31 PM   #7

Should have said that I cannot dial the number given as 800 numbers are only accessible within the Sates.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:37 AM   #8

As I have said I cannot dial a 0800 number from Spain and I therfore tried snail mail to Fuji but so far no response. If anyone cares to conatct them on the number given may be we will get a definitive answer.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 2:25 PM   #9

Digital Image Recovery

Fuji, when I called them had no real good answers for me. I asked them about the formatting issues and asked me to see if I could format; you do not want to do this of course as then you could really loose all your images. Digital image recovery in my experience has been a shot in the dark using the means available online.

Fuji mentioned a full service digital image recovery company located in the USA who handles customers worldwide, some of my colleagues use them as they are mentioned in Professional Photographers of AmericaMagazine (PPA) and also on c|net... I am happy with the service.

These manufacturers really many times do not have any kinds of idea what to do in these situations.
journalist_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:05 AM   #10

Tks Journalist for taking the trouble. The response from Fuji regrettably is what one learns to expect from Mfrs.

I will continue to use the S602 until it dies but then.......

Tkas once again.