Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:19 AM   #1

When I reload files from my PC to a SD card on my camera (Panasonic DMC FZ3) I would like to create thumbnails at the same time so that I can see what each picture is on my camera screen. When I do this at present each picture just has a number and the play back is also very slow. Is there any way that I can create the thumbnails?

Thanks for any help.
timcooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2005, 1:22 AM   #2

Not sure why you would upload from your PC to your camera, but it should be easier to make a thumbnail file using a PC program and saving it as a .jpg so you can see it on your camera without having the camera having to do it.

Call me crazy for thinking that up.........
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 2:05 AM   #3

Panasonic seems a little different. I just uploaded photos from my FZ10 and C50 into my Casio Z750 card. They displayed beautifully and I could zoom in. I uploaded a FZ10 image into my FZ10 and it wouldn't even play that, much less the C50 and Z750 images. Evidently it makes the thumbnails when you take the pictures and reads them while they are on the camera. You would think they would stay with the EXIF but evidently not.

I also tried loading one of my Panasonic thumbs.db files back onto the card. It wouldn't play those either. I'm reluctant to put the thumbs in one of the other folders, but that might be what you have to do.

If you contacted Panasonic there might be a technical paper available for making the thumbs.db file and instructions for how to get it back into the camera.

For now I would say the camera won't work as a viewer like some other brands will.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 6:54 PM   #4

Thanks for your help on this. The reason that I reload the pics is that I can then use my camera as a viewer with a TV when I go visiting. i need the thumbs to make the whole process easier.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 6:57 PM   #5

Thanks to Slipe for these insights. I will definitely check out the Panasonic web site and you have also given me some clues what to do. It is possible that I do not understand enough about the SD file structure and how it works.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:26 AM   #6

I figured it out. I had been uploading images to the FZ10 with the EXIF stripped without checking. I just uploaded both FZ10 image and C50 &Z750 images with the EXIF intact. They all viewed fine on the FZ10. They probably will on your FZ5 as well.

Irfanview is your best bet. "Save as" a JPG with a proper file number. You can't name the image "Bubba" for some reason. It will take file numbering systems from other cameras but not named files for some reason. You can make the image as small as you like but if you make it too small you can't zoom. The important thing is to check the box in the Irfanview save dialog to "Keep original EXIF data". I kept the IPTC and comments as well, but I doubt that is significant.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:58 AM   #7

Is there a laymans guide to EXIF file and thumbs etc. Viewing my SD card via my PC showed no EXIF files no not sure where I go from here. Perhaps I should just reload the thumbs.db file when I reload my pics (although I think I deleted it as being uneccessary)
Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:22 PM   #8
Administrator

You should also checkout the program call TVWriter, it lets you take JPG images with no Exif data and convert them back tothe format for in-camera viewing.

http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyond....html#TVwriter
steve is offline   Reply With Quote