Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:18 PM   #1

I used a SanDisk card reader to successfully download pics from a PNY 128 MB card used in a Canon A510 Power Shot camera (new camera, probably second or third time to download pics from this card). I asked it to erase all pics, but didn't notice whether it did or not. I went to take pics later, and I am told that the "Card is locked!" and I can't take pics. It still shows that all the previous pics are still on the card. There is NOTHING in my instructions booklet that mentions "locking" or "unlocking" the card. I can still download the pics from the card, using the card reader, but it will not erase the pics and clear the card.

How does one "unlock the card?"

Bobbye
bobbyesox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2005, 11:30 PM   #2

Make sure the lock tab of the card is in the unlocked position, maybe ?

KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 12:09 AM   #3

Thanks so much. I had NO idea that some cards have lock/unlock tabs. I feel so stupid.......I checked my backup card, it doesn't. But...the one that was "locked" did indeed and now it works great. Great big hug and a kiss!!!! :G

Bobbye
bobbyesox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 3:35 AM   #4

You also can protect picture from esrasure withthe camera by locking or "protecting" all or some of the file from beening esrased, check you camera manual or failing that download the adobe file from canon web site .you accidentally trigger cameras built in file protection system. that another way you can accidentally lock up card, I know I did that accidental with old c 2020.:?
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:50 AM   #5

Locking a picture is also a good way to document your camera... ie a picture of your name and some sort of ID. Plus including pictures of your manual so you can look up something "on the road."

These ideas are from a much earlier thread..... dunno if I can re-locate it.

I just checked all my SD cards and they all have lock tabs. What brand does not have the lock tab ?
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote