Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 10, 2003, 7:35 PM   #1

Default Time it Takes To Delete Pictures off CF Cards

Today I thought I had a problem with my Coolpix 2500, but I find it was the one card I was using, not the camera.
I found it took a very long time (hourglass in LCD display) to delete one picture off the card.
Also between shots I got the hourglass and had to wait before I could take the next shot.
The card that was so slow is a 128mb Sandisk, which Nikon recomends in this camera.
So for kicks I put in my PNY 128mb card and got much better times between shots and a much faster delete time.
I timed the delete time using each card, the results are:
To delete one picture from the camera using the Sandisk 128mb was 22sec!!!!
To delete one picture from the camera using the PNY 128 mb was only 4 sec!!! Yes that is FOUR seconds.
And Nikon told me PNY was NOT suported.
What is wrong?
Can cards be that far off between brands of the same capacity?
:?:
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2003, 8:25 PM   #2

Did you try to time the format time?
Sandisk on my CP950 is not that slow, but I almost never delete individual files, most of the time I format ( initialize) the whole card.

PS: on my D7i, PNY are far faster than Sandisk CF , 12 sec versus 22 sec to write a raw file
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 10:53 PM   #3

Were the two tests done with exactly the "same" set of pictures, e.g., delete the middle one of three shots? Both tests done right after formatting the card? The camera could be doing some kind of defrag routine.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 8:26 AM   #4

I did not test the time to do a card format in the camera, as the card is half full and I was adding pictures to it.
When I made the delete comparing time test between the two cards, it was done on the same subject using the same lighting.
I always "delete" the bad or not that great looking pictures in the camera when I preview them in the camera's LCD.
No use wasting space on the card with bad shots.
I also keep some on the card after downloading them to the computer so they can be used in the small printer my wife has.
I do not format the card unless I have a problem with the card.
======= ==============
Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Benson
...I always "delete" the bad or not that great looking pictures in the camera when I preview them in the camera's LCD.
No use wasting space on the card with bad shots.
I'd much rather waste space on a memory card than waste my time squinting at a little LCD trying to decide if a picture is in focus and wasting my batteries doing it. Also, running the camera more heats the CCD so the noise level increases.
Quote:
I also keep some on the card after downloading them to the computer so they can be used in the small printer my wife has.
I do not format the card unless I have a problem with the card.
Lack of formating is likely the reason for timing differences, at least in part. In particular, you have no idea of how fragmented one card is compared to the other making the timing comparisons dubious at best.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2003, 6:55 PM   #6

Thanks Bill for the information, I never thought of the card as being like a HD and can become defragmented.
I guess I will have to format the card in the camera, if I need pictures to put on the little printer I can always put what I need back on the card.
I have every picture I took that was good saved on CD as well as on the computer.
I will have to run the test again after I format the card.
Thanks again.
Bill