Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:26 PM   #1

Newegg is advertising a 2 gig SD card from A-Data ... and it claims a read speed of 150X (22mb/sec)!

Although currently out-of-stock, has anyone tried this card?

Know of anything similar? (That's available, too)

I'm getting a Pentax S50, and from reading reviews it dosen't need any bottlenecks! :lol:

This kind of thing should be more "future-proof", too.
arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:26 PM   #2
Administrator

arklab wrote:
Quote:
Newegg is advertising a 2 gig SD card from A-Data ... and it claims a read speed of 150X (22mb/sec)!

Although currently out-of-stock, has anyone tried this card?

Know of anything similar? (That's available, too)

I'm getting a Pentax S50, and from reading reviews it dosen't need any bottlenecks! :lol:

This kind of thing should be more "future-proof", too.
It's unlikely that your camera is going to take advantage of a card this fast.

Steve tested your model at one photo every two seconds in continuous mode using a Sandisk Extreme Card. The one used was probably one of the oldermodels (rated at approx. 9mb/second). Yet, the maximum the camera recorded was around 3mb/second (the average size of the photos).

The bottleneck is usually the camera (the interface to the media is simply not fast enough in most models to see much benefit from the fastest cards).

Right now, Sandisk's Extreme III Secure Digital Cards and Panasonic's Pro "High Speed"Series Secure DigitalCards are about the fastest rated cards (by their respective manufacturers) that I'm familiar with (they're rated at approx. 20mb/second read/write). But, sometimes ratings are a bit optmistic. :-)

You tend to see diminishing returns as you go with a faster card (because of the bottlenecks in most cameras).

Unless you're getting this card at a very good price, I'd probably save your money and go with a 60-66x type card (and it's unlikely that your model will take advantage of this much speed, much less cards twice as fast).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:07 AM   #3

Thanks, Jim
I just can't see getting "last years" tech in something that can be used in something else next year. It would seem likley that even very small cameras will soon be up to 10 megapixle range soon, and they will need larger, faster cards.
The only problem is "this years" 2GB - 20mb/sec cards are just now begining to hit the market.

Looks like I'll have to wait a bit.
arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:15 AM   #4
Administrator

arklab wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Jim
I just can't see getting "last years" tech in something that can be used in something else next year. It would seem likley that even very small cameras will soon be up to 10 megapixle range soon, and they will need larger, faster cards.
The only problem is "this years" 2GB - 20mb/sec cards are just now begining to hit the market.

Looks like I'll have to wait a bit.
I've got mixed feelings on that. Yes, it would be nice to have a faster card in case you upgraded to a faster camera later. Also, a faster card would improve transfer times via a card reader.

But, prices are dropping so fast on memory, by the time you get ready to upgrade your camera, you'd probably be able to get newer, faster cards for less money. Also, there is no guarantee that a camera you upgrade to would use the same type of memory.

So, the difference in price to get the "latest and greatest" technology today, may not be worth it since prices on memory will keep dropping.

As a general rule, when you buy the newest technology, you pay a premium to get it. So, personally, I'd look for "bang for the buck" (cost/mb) when purchasing a card for a camera (provided the card(s) I'm buying operated as fast as the camera could take advantage of, and the manufacturer has a good reputation for reliability).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 3:00 PM   #5

Stay away.. this works in my Canon S2, but only in one of my three card readers, and NOT in my remote storage device(X's drive). I have no problem with Sandisk and Ridata products. I was able to get this to work in a third card reader, and the performance was decent, though the Sandra benchmark was lower than Sandisk Ultra but above Ridata Pro.

Customer support did not accept responsibility, said it was my "hardware" and not their card. They said "unfortunately, the only solution not to use it in devices it does not work in". This support was from Taiwan.. so it WAS worded this way.

This MAY be related to some DEEP scratches that were on the gold contacts out of the box. There are places on the card that you can see the plastic through the contacts, but this doesn't look to be from the scratches.. I don't know why, it could be by design.. I don't know.. the little holes are on all contacts, but in different places on each.

I wish I had paid the extra $25 and got another Sandisk. I can make it work.. but it's very inconvenient.

On the card readers it does not work in, it does nothing... in the card reader it DOES work with, it does not show the volume description but it DOES work. No problems with the Camera, but the X's drive doesn't see it.

Best of luck....
akysten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:16 AM   #6

Meritline has ATP 2GB SD Card, water proof, dust proof and ESD proof won the award of editors' best choice!

A famous brand comes from USA.

www.meritline.com/atp-high-speed-60x-2gb-secure-digital-sd-card.html
leafalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:30 AM   #7

And Ridata 2GB 150X high speed SD Card released, you can see it in meritline.

Because meritline is a distributor of Ritek Ridata, in my opinion, the price from meritline maybe the lowest!

This week they offer 10% off coupon and free shipping. If somebody needs not expensive but also high speed SD card, I think this will be his/her BEST CHOICE!

www.meritline.com/ridata-2gb-150x-secure-digital-sd-card.html
leafalling is offline   Reply With Quote