Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:47 AM   #1

I know that the most popular Compact Flash Card is that one by SanDisk but there are more producers like Kingston, A-Data,Apacer or Pretec. I want to buy a new CF card. I have Canon A80 and a CF by SanDisk but the capacity is only 32 MB. I would like to buy a 512 MB one. Today I was in the shop and there was a one by Kingston and cheaper than that one of the same capacity by Sandisk.

Which one would you recomend me? Do you think thre is any difference in quality between SanDisk, Kingston, Pretec ..... ?

Thank youfor your answer and help.

jp80
jp80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2005, 7:15 AM   #2

I don't think your Canon A80 takes advantage of a cards read/write speed. The question would be if your card reader, if you are using one, will give you any faster speed for downloading or if the speed it downloads with now suits you. If the answer to the first part is no and the second part is yes, then you will be satisfied with any of the cards. Now if on the other hand you intend to upgrade cameras in the near future, then it would probably be worthwhile to buy a faster card. People are reporting that they are perfectly happy with the speeds of the Kingston Elite Pro.

M3incorp
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:53 AM   #3

Hi Koenig,

thank you for your answer. I do not have any card reader, I don´t need it. Your answer helped me much. I do not even plan buying another new camera. I am satisfied with Canon A80.

But I have one more question. If you were me, would you buy a new Compact Flash card that is the cheapest on the market these days? As I know,those by Kingston are very cheap these days. So you are saying that the quality of all is the same, or quite the same?

thank you

jp80

Old Jul 15, 2005, 2:23 PM   #4

Hi, If speed is not an issue then any name brand will be just fine....Kingston is cheap but is considered to be one of the better brands.....This is the order that most people would rate the brands, keep in mind that they are taking speed in consideration.

SanDisk, Lexar (except the 1GB 80X) , Kingston and then the other cards fall under these.

If I need a reasonably priced reliable card, then Kingston it is.

I hope this helps.

Koenig

Old Jul 15, 2005, 2:55 PM   #5

Koenig, thank you for the answer. You helped me much.

Do you come from Germany? Because German koenig is English king.

thanx

jp80
Old Jul 15, 2005, 3:11 PM   #6

You are very welcome.. I am American but lived in Germany from 1981-1999, thus the nickname Koenig.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 5:09 PM   #7

Finally I have bought Kingston 256 MB and I am satisfied. Also the speed is OK, I don´t need a faster one )

jp80
Old Jul 28, 2005, 3:42 AM   #8

jp80

Glad that I could help. That Kingston should satisfy you just fine. The Canon A80 is nice camera for point and shoot. Have fun.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:49 PM   #9

Don't buy Kingston's, it's always bad in quality. Suggest you buy Transcend or Apacer, PQI is good too.
leafalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:34 AM   #10

Haven't heard of anyone having problems with Kingstons. Shouldn't say this or that is always good or bad because there is going to be someone that disagrees. Just so you know, right now the Kingston Elite Pros are one of the best selling flash memory there is, and most people are loving them, especially for the price.