Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

View Poll Results: How long do you think it will take to get there?
2 years 3 37.50%
5 years 4 50.00%
10 years 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 13, 2003, 2:23 AM   #1

Default Ultra Fast Compactflash

Well, that's just wishful thinking on my part, but I wonder how long it would take CF manufacturers to provide faster, fast as in Ultra320 SCSI fast (thats's 320 megabytes per second for those who don't know), read/write speed... and then the cameras that support it.. Let's see what you all think :P
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2003, 5:13 AM   #2
NHL

The CF standard may be fast (or it's internal controller), but flash cells themself are inherenly slow and may never get there... The flash manufacturers usually fake it by using larger buffer, just like the 2M/8M cache on hardisks! I believe the microdrive will always hold its lead over flashes with regard to speed... especially write cycles.

Instead of reads, do write transfers to flash @ high speed and you'll realize how slow flashes are... on large files (as compare to the microdrives that have the same read/write transfer speed). 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 7:39 AM   #3
NHL

BTW Not all flashes are equal. There's the 'NOR' flashes made by Intel, AMD, and Micron etc... that is used for code storage like BIOS on PC or for boot loader on Cell phones. Theses are accessed in parallel(faster) and are relatively small and costly vs the 'NAND' flashes that are used for virtually for all data storage like in digital cameras or PDA/MP3 players. The 'NAND' flashes are cheaper (and are all made by Asian manufacturers), but are accessed serially just like a hardisk (ie address/data/data.../data). Regardless both types are SLOW on writes !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.samsungelectronics.com/se...t_is_flash.htm
Old Jan 13, 2003, 8:25 PM   #4

I don't see a microdrive in the cache of cpu's...
Old Jan 13, 2003, 8:31 PM   #5
NHL

Yea, but the new ones are 50% faster than the 1G... leaving all the solid state flashes in the dust! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Jan 13, 2003, 11:30 PM   #6

Someone is really enthusiastic about microdrives, I give you that But since we're at it, now that the new microdrives are thinner, maybe Hitachi could stack two micro platters and double to 8GB in a Type II format as opposed to 4GB in Type I? Or what about a really whacky idea, a camera with two CF slots, RAID 0 two microdrives for that ultimate rush of speed? :lol:
Old Jan 14, 2003, 5:36 AM   #7
NHL

Don't get me wrong I got plenty of CF flash cards too... but end up using the microdrives more because of their conveniences. I think a wireless CF card make more sense in the near term, ie you can back up your data instanly to a SAN (as well as the local Flash!):

http://www.newstream.com/us/story_pu...208.236.67.193

Beside pictures taking is bursty so a camera designer can always provide a larger buffer for quick multiframe/s shots and dump it to the CF slot at a slower pace... Beside sRAM access times are in the ns unlike the us for flashes (page accesses are faster than block accesses) or in the milliseconds for flash writes.

Good idea! A camera with 2 CF slots will do what you want provided the manufacturer included a decent H/W controller rather than all this firmware cost compromising approaches on consumer digicams...
Old Jan 17, 2003, 7:59 PM   #8

have we all noticed that every time a prediction is made as to what will beat what we all end up eating our words. speed will increase on all fronts. heat will will be the final winner though. oh yeah and the marketing people too.

RAID 0!?- just what i need my image spread between 2 drives with no fault tolerance. what fun.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote