Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 14, 2003, 2:14 PM   #1

Default Deleting pics off cards

I have been using a card reader and/or USB cables to get the pics into my computer. I have been cutting & pasting them to a new file folder on my hard drive.

Then i read something on the Olympus web site that says you should not use the card reader or the computer to get rid of old pics in the camers. I called Olympus and they said I should reformat the card inside the camera to get rid of old pics.

Well, i'm trying to stay organized and it's not easy. So if I go out and just take 10 pictures, i come home and put them on my computer and get rid of them on the card or in the computer, as described above.

Is that so bad for the card? Should I reformat the card every single time i want to get rid of the old pics? That sounds crazy to me.

Thanks!
erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2003, 2:43 PM   #2

Erika

We live in crazy world. In card setup you have two options to delete files. You can delete all files or reformat. You can also delete files individually from the review menu.

The deletion of file from the media is not removing the picture. The deletion process deletes the reference to the file from the media's directory (File Allocation Table FAT). You can save another picture to this file location if the pic will fit into that space, if not the media will store the pic at the first available space. The media will start to fragment over a period of time and you will see slower writing of files to the media. The same event will occur on your computer's hard drive. You run a deframentation program to improve you hard drive's ability to find and store files. Therefore, I recommend reformatting your camera media (formatting in the camera) on a regular basis.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2003, 7:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620

The deletion of file from the media is not removing the picture. The deletion process deletes the reference to the file from the media's directory (File Allocation Table FAT). You can save another picture to this file location if the pic will fit into that space.

Ok, i'm sure you're correct. But, when I stop because the card is full, after I delete the files from the card, then I have room for new pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
Therefore, I recommend reformatting your camera media (formatting in the camera) on a regular basis.
How often do you suggest? like once a month?

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2003, 10:16 PM   #4
Administrator

It is always a better idea to use either the Delete All or Format option of your camera versus a card reader and the Move or Delete command from Windows or Mac OS. I always use the COPY command to copy files from card reader to computer.

You can format every time with no degradation of the memory card.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:22 PM   #5

It's a good idea to do it like Steve says also because if you goof something up you still have the original image on the camera. I use an external reader to copy and paste. Then I edit or file or whatever. When I am done I put the card back in the camera and format it. This assures me that the pictures are on the computer safe and sound, and that the card is formatted and ready for the next time.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:48 PM   #6

Thanks, yall.

Old Mar 29, 2003, 10:33 PM   #7

I know, old topic but I just arrived to this forum today.

What I do is copy all pictures to my computer then view them. After I ensure that all pictures were copies ok I delete all pictures from the memory card while in the card reader. Just the pictures, not format the card. I don't think that fragmentation will occur if all pictures are deleted at the same time.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 4:21 AM   #8

Luisr, yes I do the same and have never had a problem with fragmentation on 128Mb SM cards shooting large files - Large Microdrives might be different. However, I do agree that re-format is the best way. What some of the posters here did not say, was that re-format in the camera is similar to a 'Quick Format' on your pc (which is why it's so quick). It does not delete data and clean your card completely by over writing all the card data, it just rebuilds the FAT section at the start of the cards memory storage.

Sometimes when a card can't be accessed at all in a cam I've found it needs to be completely wiped (all data set to 00 or FF) with a 'Full Format', using utilities.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 4:17 PM   #9
lg

luisr, I do the same thing also-- only I pre-select on the XP wizard to delete all pics from card after successful transfer. In this way, you have to do nothing to reuse the card after your pictures are transferred. I've never had a problem doing it this way. I just thought I'd suggest it in case you were using XP.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote