Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:45 PM   #1

Newbie wonders from which of Olympus 5500 approx. 6 choices I should usefor basic 4x6 family album shots---SHQ, SHQ/HQ1SQ! etc, and thepixel resolution combination.
draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:59 PM   #2

Those photos are your lifetime memories. You might take one you want a larger blowup for the wall or your kids or grandkids might someday want the images. Unless you went stingy on the memory card I would shoot everything at the best quality.

To answer your question: you have a 1600 X 1200 setting that will make excellent 4 X 6 prints as far as the pixels. Even 1280 X 960 will give over 200PPI and make nice prints. 1600 X 1200 lets you use SQ1 where 1280 X 960 reduces you to SQ2.

SHQ, HQ. SQ1 and SQ2 are quality settings in order of quality. They represent different levels of JPG compression and are not directly related to the image size other than what choices are available at what sizes. When you get to the smaller sizes in pixels you are also compressing the image more giving lower quality because only low quality compressions are available.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 2:12 PM   #3

I did go stingy on the memory -- 128 mb. I have noticed thatI generally can storeonly approx. 40 pix at the highest quality mode (SHQ/HQ) So, I was wondering which mode I coulddrop down to and still get great pixel resolution for general purposefamily snap shots up to 8x10. Looks like you're suggesting 1600x1200, SQ1 mode, correct?
draz is offline   Reply With Quote