Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:36 PM   #1

I have a Canon PowerShot A70 digital camera with a 512mb compact flash card. I copied all my pictures to my hard drive and then erased the memory card. Now I want to copy some of the pictures from the computer back onto the memory card so that I can have the photos printed at costco. I lost the software that came with the camera, and when I go into windows explorer it will not let me copy the photos onto the camera. Any ideas?
brianmurr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:54 PM   #2

Have you tried copying them back to the folder the pictures came from? You should be able to copy them to the root directory as well, but I don't have a Canon to be sure. Is the camera showing as a drive in windows explorer and can you navigate the folders?

My Panasonic, Casio and Olympus allow me to paste the pictures back to the card. If I put them back in the folder they came from I can see them on the LCD. I highlight the ones I want back to the card, right click on one of the highlighted images and select "copy". Then I right click on the folder I want them in and "paste". If they won't copy back that way Canon has an unusual system.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 7:57 PM   #3

No it still doesnt work, it simply wont allow me to paste the pictures back into the camera...is there a software that could assist me with this?
brianmurr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 9:28 PM   #4

Why don't you just buy a card reader and forget hooking up your camera. Use Windows explorer to move the photos like you would any file in windows. Your card in the reader will simply be like another drive called "removable disc". Move any file to and from the card with Windows explorer.
rrross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:18 AM   #5

Try Irfanview. Open one of your images in Irfanview. File>Thumbnails. If you want the thumbs larger so you can make better decisions go Options>Set thumbnail options and choose a larger size. I use 200 X 200 because it gives me five abreast and they are large enough to make decisions about.

Click on one you want to save back to the camera. Hold the Ctrl key and select the others. After you have selected all of the images you want to send back to the camera, right click on one of the highlighted images. Select "Copy selected files". You will get a dialog box that lets you browse to the drive letter that is the camera. Open the drive letter and open the DCIM folder. Select the folder you usually take the pictures from. If it is the first address you are using select "use directory">"1" at the bottom. It will copy the selected files to your camera.

Irfanview is freeware if you don't have it: www.irfanview.com

rross The camera works the same way as a card reader. It normally shows as a removable drive and you can move stuff both to and from the camera. Brian is just having problems getting it to work right.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:59 AM   #6

guys, Here's your TRUE answer. download the program. it works. i use it. but only for certain cameras- as stated on the page( i have a g5).

you can even upload it back to the camera in diff. sizes.

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/s....html#TVwriter

-bert
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 5:18 PM   #7

I have done this in windows XP, and I used Windows resident software to do it. I installed my SD card in thereader and went to My Pictures, selected a picture and right clicked copy and pasted in the directory where the SD is located.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 7:04 AM   #8

I do agree with the card reader. $10 card reader/writer will make your life so much easier.
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote