Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 2, 2005, 1:31 PM   #1

I am possibly getting a new camera with an SD card. I currently have a CF card camera.
What reader should I get. I know Sandisk has 5 in 1; 12 in 1 and on e-bay there's an 8 in 1 that's not on Sandisk's website.
Also is there a certain card I should get?

Thanks,
Stacy
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:33 PM   #2

I have a Kodak 6 in 1 portable that comes with a short USB cable attached and an extension cable as well. When I recieved this a s a Fathers' Day gift I was getting ready to buy an internal reader for my PC. The Kodak is about 2-1/4"x4-1/2"x1/2" thick. Unless you travel with a PC, the internal doesn't cost much more and isn't likely to be misplaced. In addition to the 32 MB SD that came with my camera, I have a 1GB. They run around $50-60 online depending on the rebate of the day.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:59 AM   #3

There are hundreds of multicard readers out there. Most if not all should work just fine for you...Check out ...www.newegg.com .......www.ecost.com....www.buy.com just to name a few...you will find that multicard readers aren't expensive at all. Last one I bought was a 8 in 1 for $16 and it reads/writes at a pretty fast speed and had no problems.
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:22 PM   #4

Anyone likes the smallest Lexar Muiti-Reader? Tiny body but supports SD/MMC, Memory Stick (Pro) and xD-Picture Card!!!

I owns one, now I can use my Toshiba 512MB SD as a 512MB pen drive!!!

www.meritline.com/lexar-single-slot-multi-card-reader.html

Have you heard Ultra II Plus SD Card, or Dual-Purpose SD?

www.meritline.com/ultra-sd2-card-1gb-sandisk.html

SD card is so thin, but they says it built USB connection in the so thin card, really?

But meritline.com says "coming soon", how long is soon? I have seen it out of stock for over than a month.

Waiting for it's orderable, then I could use a SD card as slim as PQI Intelligent Stick pen drive, without an ugly external card reader.
leafalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:40 AM   #5

I would have to say that any multi-reader that doesn't support CF is seriously lacking. They already have the dual typeflashmemory/usb you are talking about with CF; guess it could have it's benefits.

leafalling wrote:
Quote:
Anyone likes the smallest Lexar Muiti-Reader? Tiny body but supports SD/MMC, Memory Stick (Pro) and xD-Picture Card!!!

I owns one, now I can use my Toshiba 512MB SD as a 512MB pen drive!!!

http://www.meritline.com/lexar-singl...rd-reader.html

Have you heard Ultra II Plus SD Card, or Dual-Purpose SD?

http://www.meritline.com/ultra-sd2-c...b-sandisk.html

SD card is so thin, but they says it built USB connection in the so thin card, really?

But meritline.com says "coming soon", how long is soon? I have seen it out of stock for over than a month.

Waiting for it's orderable, then I could use a SD card as slim as PQI Intelligent Stick pen drive, without an ugly external card reader.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:28 AM   #6

I have one of these Apacer USB2 embedded 15-in-1 readers that works great. Fits in the floppy slot. USB slot in front too. Got it for CAN$12 on sale.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...facture=APACER

Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:45 AM   #7

That looks like a good buy..
Old Sep 1, 2005, 10:04 PM   #8

I bought the SanDisk 12 in 1 reader because it was cheap, covered pretty much any card I own, and any card owned by friends. It's solidly built, it comes with a goofy software app for Windows users (I use Linux, so I didn't try the application. It seemed silly anyway), and it comes with a docking station with a long USB cord for use at home. I keep the basic reader and it's short cable in my camera bag, as well as a couple of 2 gig pen drives. That way, I can clear out my camera memory cards pretty much anywhere there happens to be a computer.

I suspect that the SanDisk device is a generic Chinese product that can be found with other names printed on the box, but it is a good one, and it covers a lot of memory card territory with a small footprint. I'd bet that other card readers are just as good, but this one is both well thought out, and has a quality look and feel. No matter which you choose, it is worthwhile to have a USB card reader in your camera bag.

Voyager

Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:11 AM   #9

The Sandisk photo album is quite a good buy. Use it as a viewer Show photo`s with background music, or use it as a straight reader/writer
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:41 PM   #10

I have the Sandisk 12-in-1 (the 8-in-1 is the previous generation) and I love the ability to leave the dock connected to my desktop and take the short USB cable and the card reader with me in my Powerbook bag so I can empty my cards.* The convenience of that alone made me pick this one over the cheaper Lexar version, and I don't regret spending the extra cash.
danger_boy_13 is offline   Reply With Quote