Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 4, 2005, 5:32 PM   #1

Upon return from our vacation, I attempted to download the photos to the pc (windows XP) and discovered that the portable dvd/cd burner I used went crazy and I cannot open the image files of the last 75 or so pics burned to the dvd. (although...1 image in the middle of the list opens just fine). The Compact flash card was reformatted in camera and I have only taken three pics on the same card (before I knew there was a problem).

Am I understanding correctly from the previous posters and replies that I can recover those images? I am hoping this is true as the images were unique.

Which program for recovery would best suit a budget minded beginning photogragher?

Thanks,

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2005, 6:14 PM   #2
Administrator

If you were shooting JPEG, try Digital Image Recovery (it's free). You can download it using this link:

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2

If you were shooting raw (.crw files) versus jpeg, then you'll probably need a commercial product like PhotoRescue (see if their demo works before buying it):

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 3:26 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
If you were shooting JPEG, try Digital Image Recovery (it's free). You can download it using this link:

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2

If you were shooting raw (.crw files) versus jpeg, then you'll probably need a commercial product like PhotoRescue (see if their demo works before buying it):

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

Thanks. The program was easy to use and I was able to rescue most of the images. Funny thing, some of the images were "double exposures" to borrow a term from the film days. A blending of two or three different frames. ??? Weird, but at least I was able to get most of them! Thanks for your help. Love this site and hope to learn much more.

Becky
Old Aug 5, 2005, 3:37 PM   #4
Administrator

I'm glad you got most of them back. If you wouldn't have taken those 3 photos after reformatting, you probably could have gotten them all back.

Which program did you use (Digital Image Recover or PhotoRescue)?

Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:22 PM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'm glad you got most of them back. If you wouldn't have taken those 3 photos after reformatting, you probably could have gotten them all back.

Which program did you use (Digital Image Recover or PhotoRescue)?

I used Digital Image Recover.

So.... my problem 'double image stuff' was because the new photos on the reformatted card?

and ...was my original problem because my card is going bad or something else? What's the average life expectancy of a card? I fill mine to capacity at least once a week during baseball and football season and when volleyball season overlaps as many times a 3 in a week. I think I read that lots of removal and placement into devices is hard on the card. True?

Becky

Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:40 PM   #6
Administrator

Becky wrote:
Quote:
I used Digital Image Recover.

Great, I'm glad the free program works OK with your Digital Rebel.

Quote:
So.... my problem 'double image stuff' was because the new photos on the reformatted card?

and ...was my original problem because my card is going bad or something else? What's the average life expectancy of a card? I fill mine to capacity at least once a week during baseball and football season and when volleyball season overlaps as many times a 3 in a week. I think I read that lots of removal and placement into devices is hard on the card. True?
Becky, we don't even know if there was a problem with the card (your inability to read the files you burned toDVD may have been the fault of theDVD burner, software or media).

What we know is that you had some corrupted images after you formatted a card and attempted to recover them. The most likely cause of this is because you overwrote some of the image data when you started using the card again before trying to get the original images back. I would expect corrupted image files in this case.

It's possiblethat your original problem with the images burned to DVD could havebeen caused by a corrupted FAT (File Allocation Table) on the memory card. But, that's unlikely if the images copied OK from the card originally.

To be safe, I always format a card prior to every use, using the camera's menus (not a PC). This insures that I always start out with a fresh File Allocation Table, exactly the way the camera is expecting it.

I also never write to a memory card using anything other than the camera. For example, I would never "cut and paste" files, since this is using the PC to delete the images, and a delete is a write to the media. There is too much risk (IMO) of data being corrupted due to caching algorithms, USB Driver problems, etc. doing things this way.

From my perspective, it's just as easy to format the card with the camera prior to every use, versus trying to delete the images manually anyway. Using this technique (formatting a card prior to every use with a camera's menus), I've never had a corrupted card.