Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 5, 2005, 4:00 PM   #1

The 16 MB card that came with the camera used to hold up to hold up to 19 pictures before showing : card full: ...now I can only take 6-9 pictures before it says card is full. What paramaters affect how many pictures a card can hold? This is happening in auto mode as well as other modes...the only setting we changed was ISO ..we increased that to 400... Thanks...
DocLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2005, 6:13 PM   #2
Administrator

Chances are, you changed the Resolution settings from HQ to SHQ. This impacts the amount of JPEG compression being used.

More JPEG Compression = Smaller File Sizes = Lower Quality.

Less JPEG Compression = Larger File Sizes = Higher Quality

From looking at the specifications in your camera's review here, around 5 photos using SHQ is about right for a 16mb card, and around 16 photos is about right using HQ.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/c765uz.html

Keep in mind that these are only estimates, because file sizes will vary based on image content with JPEG files (more detail doesn't compress as well).

There is one other possibility if you find that you're already using HQ versus the better quality SHQ....

The ISO speed you selected could be causing the problem. Higher ISO speeds degrade image quality due to the introduction of noise (similar to film grain).

But, the noise doesn't compress as well (lots of multi-colored pixels in the mix when something should be relatively constant in color/brightness). So, higher ISO speeds can result in larger JPEG File Sizes.

P.S.

I would strongly recommend buying a larger memory card. The "starter" 16mb card included with the camera is going to be very limiting.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:39 PM   #3

Thanks Jim, as you can probably tell we are "Newbies" with a dig camera...have purchased a 256 and a 512 as we are going to Alaska next week :-) Just using the 16 to try things out....sure have learned a lot thru Steves website...want to be able to take 400 + pics while in Alaska....again, we will go back to the std paramaters and see how many we get on the 16 and if the ISO change affected it...will change to HQ also ...we havent figured out what a card reader does yet....does it speed up transfer to the PC ( something we will want when we get home ).....
Old Aug 5, 2005, 11:37 PM   #4
Administrator

DocLin wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Jim, as you can probably tell we are "Newbies" with a dig camera...have purchased a 256 and a 512 as we are going to Alaska next week :-) ..
Great! I hope you get some nice photos.

Quote:
Just using the 16 to try things out....sure have learned a lot thru Steves website...want to be able to take 400 + pics while in Alaska....again, we will go back to the std paramaters and see how many we get on the 16 and if the ISO change affected it...will change to HQ also
My guess is that you set the camera to SHQ by accident, and this mode produces higher image quality compared to SQ. As a result, the file sizes are larger and you won't get as many photos on a memory card.

As for ISO speed, I wouldn't set it any higher than you need to. Each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for any given lighting condition and aperture setting.

But, this comes at the expense of higher noise levels (similar to film grain). So, it's a tradeoff.

If you're shooting in lower light (and/or longer focal lengths), you may need the faster shutter speeds to prevent blur from camera shake. So, yes, ISO 400 can be useful in some conditions (noise is often preferrable to blur). But, I wouldn't use it unless absolutely necessary.

Chances are, your camera is increasing ISO speed to around ISO 200 using Auto ISO in low light. But, it probably would not use ISO 400 unless you set it that way.

Quote:
...we havent figured out what a card reader does yet....does it speed up transfer to the PC ( something we will want when we get home )...
When you insert a card into a reader, it looks like a removable disk drive to your PC (just like most cameras appear now). They are typically much faster compared to the USB interface built into a camera. Another reason to use one is because you'd be discharging your camera's battery while transferring images without a reader (which may or may not be an issue to many users).

Make sure to buy a USB 2.0 (or firewire) reader, versus an older USB 1.1 reader (which will be slow). Also, make sure that it supports xD Picturecard (many readers don't support this format).

We have a review of some card readers here (but most of them a bit dated now, so you'll find newer models from the popular manufacturers like Sandisk and Lexar on the store shelves):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_...s.html#readers

A card reader is not absolutely necessary. Some users never bother to get a card reader. But, they are relatively inexpensive. So, I'd be inclined to get one if I planned on transferring a lot of images frequently.

BTW, there are ways to transfer images to other types of storage devices while you're on vacation. A number of products are available now designed specifically for portable image storage. These products typically have a small form factor hard disk drive and a built in card reader. So, you don't need a PC to transfer the images to them. Some have color LCD displays, too. Check carefully for xD PictureCard compatibility when looking at them, though. Most will require an Adapter (for example, an Xd Picturecard to CompactFlash adapter) for this media type.

You'll find some reviews of Portable Image Storage Devices here (some are a bit dated, so check with manufacturers for newer products):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_...s.html#storage

Old Aug 6, 2005, 10:22 AM   #5

Thanks Jim...you were right..when we changed to HQ from SHQ it said we had 16 possibleimages but on SHQ the # was only 5. Readjusting the ISO to 64 did not change the # of images so that does not affect the # nearly as much as the SHQ /HQ.....we will into a quality card reader as the one that came with the camera is generic and only 1.1 USB...not 2.0 USB...does Steves site have a place one can read up of jpeg and different ones when it comes to pictures and sending pictures?
Old Aug 6, 2005, 10:56 AM   #6
Administrator

DocLin wrote:
Quote:
...does Steves site have a place one can read up of jpeg and different ones when it comes to pictures and sending pictures?
I'm afraid I don't understand your question. What do you mean by "read up of jpeg and different ones"?