Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 8, 2005, 12:16 AM   #1

I'm looking for a 512 -1gb memory card for Panasonic FZ3. Manual of course says use Panasonic card. Can I make use of the Sandisk Ultra ll card? or will regular card work for me? Is there a better brand for my camera or should I stick w/ panasonic card. Need advise - thank you in advance :-)
ladykimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2005, 5:37 PM   #2

Hi. Just about any make of SD card will work with FZ-3. Faster cards,rated at 40x speed or greater (the Ultra II is 60x) are better, to make sure you don't ever have to wait between shots.

Some forum members have recommended various brands--Kingmax, Kingston, etc. I am happy with ATP. But really, I don't think you will notice any difference between brands. So maybe your choice will be made on the best value you can find for a high speed card.
pmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 4:56 AM   #3

So does this mean that the high-speed SD cards are backwards compatible, meaning they can be used in a device built to use regular SD cards, like a Canon A510?
acoustix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:43 PM   #4

Any device should be able to use any speed SD card, but it may not be able to take advantage of the higher write speed. There can be some size limits though, so check the manual.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:24 AM   #5

ihave an FZ20, and use Kingmax Platinum 512MB cards. These are 60x cards that can be had forunder $30 from http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820155257. you can also get the Kingmax Platinum in 1GB for under $60, but i prefer to keep two 512's in case one gets damaged or lost. performance with these cardsis excellent, and you can't beat the price. don't waste the money on a Sandisk or Lexar orPanasonic card-they don't work any better or last any longer, they just cost more.

it actually IS worth it to get high-speed memory (45-60x) for the FZ-series cameras, because the camera transfer rate is faster than most "standard" speed SD cards can handle, and the camerawill stop every few frames to wait for the memory card if you try to shoot much in continuous or burst modes. most standard cards only read/write at about 2MB/sec, but the FZ's transfer rate is closer to 5MB/sec. the Kingmax 60x cards run at up to 9MB/sec, and will take data as fast as your camera can write it, so there's no pausing or stopping while the camera writes to the memory card. plus, the high-speed cards are much quicker to download to your PC, or clear when you want to erase them.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:08 PM   #6

Squirl033,In the past, I would have agreed with you 100%, but will say that I'm not so sure anymore.* I posted another thread where I took an FZ5 with a plain SanDisk 256MB card and filled the card on infinite burst mode without a single pause.* I was going to try to demonstrate the importance of a high-speed card to someone (I have 32X* Lexar and a Ultra II) when I nearly had to put my foot in my mouth.* Maybe it would have made a difference on a 512MB or 1GB card, but there sure were a ton of shots taken without any delay.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote