Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 21, 2005, 3:16 AM   #1

Hi
I recently bought a 512mb Kingston Elite Pro High Speed Card for my Pentax S5n

Firstly, is this compatable with my phone (a little late now, i know)
I had a look though the manual and couldnt find anything infomation with regards to transfer speeds.

Secondly, what kind of speeds should i get from a high speed SD card?
It took me 2mins 40secs to transfer 455mb from the card to my PC
Thats about 2.7MB/s
Yet the advertised speed is 7-8MB/s
Is this just theoretical marketing speil thats not actually possible in normal use or is my card just a dud.

Does anyone else have this model, what kind of speeds do you get?
Thanks
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2005, 9:22 PM   #2

How are you transferring (USB vs. USB2 vs. Firewire)?
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 2:15 AM   #3

speed of SD cards is usually listed as 32x, 40x, 60x, etc. it's helpful to know "x"... in this case, "x" = 150Kbps, so a 60x card would have a maximum read/write speed of about 9 Mb/sec. this is the maximum, and is achieved under laboratory conditions. obviously, actual speeds will vary depending on file size, type, and the capabilties of the sending and receiving equipment.if you're sending 455megaBYTES of data, it's gonna take you a while to download it all, even with a high speed card. it would take you about one minute to transfer that data, even at the theoretical maximum of a 60x card.

were you using a card reader? USB? USB 1.1 is rated at 1.5Mbps for low-speed devices, andup to 12Mbps for hi-speed; USB 2.0 will support transfer rates of up to 480Mbps.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 9:20 AM   #4

firstly, is it compatible with my PHONE??! sorry, i meant my camera :?

to transfer i am using USB direct to my camera. (both Laptop + Camera are USB2)
(i also have a card reader built into my laptop, but that gives slower speeds than the USB anyway)

thanks
Old Sep 1, 2005, 8:16 PM   #5

It sounds like your laptop USB ports are configured to run at 1.1 speed. USB 2.0 is still problematic on some machines, so your memory might not be the problem here. I have Kingston high speed CF cards that only take seconds to transfer 500 meg of data through my multi card reader plugged into a properly configured USB 2.0 port. The same with the high speed SD cards for my S2.

Then again, when the same setup is plugged into one of my PC's that only have USB 1.1, transferring 500 meg of data seems to take forever. Another member already posted the specs of the USB standard, but it is worth pointing out again that a properly working USB 2.0 port is about 40x as fast as USB 1.1. It's even faster than firewire (as I recall).

If transferring data from your memory card is slow with a USB card reader, I'd bet that the answer lies in the way your laptop ports are configured. If you can't get it working right, try buying a cheap USB 2 PC card for your laptop, and connecting through it. I'd bet that will end the speed problem.

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:15 AM   #6

thanks Voyager.

i didnt think of that, my laptop states it is USB2, but i dont have any other devices to really test this, i'll try and get hold of one and test the speeds.
alternatively i'll see if i can find a USB2 enabled PC to test my camera on.

cheers.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 7:10 AM   #7

i tried my camera on another PC and i got 2mins47 on a 455mb file, so no difference really.

i guess the card is just not as fast as it states.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 6:07 PM   #8
Administrator

nadnerb wrote:
Quote:
i tried my camera on another PC and i got 2mins47 on a 455mb file, so no difference really.

i guess the card is just not as fast as it states.
The speed of the camera's interface to media is a big limiting factor. You'd get much faster transfer times with a card reader (probably not the full rated speed due to limitations in the protocol, drivers in the operating system, etc.), but *much* faster than from your camera).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:56 AM   #9

You should also take into account that the highest speeds are based on transfering one single file. For example, transfering 450 MB as a single file will be much faster than transfering 200 files with a total size of 450 mb ....
arnemiguel is offline   Reply With Quote